Aya

When to transplant?

So when I went to turn on my lights this morning for my seedlings, I've noticed that my potatoes are pretty darn big. They're about 5 inches tall and are starting to bend towards the lights. My peas are also fairly good sized and I was wondering if I should transplant them now or wait for a while? Should I just move the lights higher or can they go outside?

Its been pretty rainy lately, but my raised bed is covered with a hoop house - just wanted everyone's opinion.

Also, how likely is it that I got a bad bunch of tomato seeds? I just replanted a couple days ago and they are now in the house - so I guess we'll hafta see if they germinate within the next few days..

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would put them out before they get too weak from being inside!

Rogue11

Maybe you should just start hardening them. Once they are ready to be transplanted after that it might not be so rainy anymore. Just make sure they are protected from the rain and harsh elements while they're hardening.

Don't give up on your tomato seedlings yet. I had a batch that was slow too. I ended up restarting, and since I wanted to use the same plastic pots, I dumped the soil starter mix from the batch that I thought was dead onto the compost. Now I noticed I have little tomato seedlings growing there. Not sure which are which so since I had 6 different kinds cherry seeds germinating.

Aya

So I can put them out under my hoop house to harden off since its covered and they should be okay right?

Rogue11

Start with a few hours and then make it longer every day, giving them a little more sun each day and you should be ready in a week or so.
I usually aim for a week, but I once transplanted tomatoes after 5 days because of a mini heatwave approaching. (didn't want to put them out when it was too hot)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Peas are tough but potatoes will be hurt by frost. I like to put plants out after a rain and when it is cloudy for a few days!

Aya

Thanks for the suggestions. We havn't had a whole lot of sunny days here. Most rainy and overcast in April/May here - but we might get lucky!

wordwiz
Green Thumb

I've planted potatoes on St. Pat's day and though it took a while for them to actually sprout, they did withstand a few frosts.

But I've never tried transplanting them!

Mike

Aya

Yeah I started my russets and reds inside for some odd reason - just to see if I could actually grow them I guess. I had my purples direct sown in my beds but my dog dug them up...I noticed that they had roots so I brought them inside and they've sprouted - so they survived a 12 week old Great Dane's attentions lol. I really need to figure out how to keep her out of my plants..I don't really have the budget for fencing right now :roll:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Aya wrote:Yeah I started my russets and reds inside for some odd reason - just to see if I could actually grow them I guess. I had my purples direct sown in my beds but my dog dug them up...I noticed that they had roots so I brought them inside and they've sprouted - so they survived a 12 week old Great Dane's attentions lol. I really need to figure out how to keep her out of my plants..I don't really have the budget for fencing right now :roll:
I have a cat that's similar. Do you have a front room you can shut the seedlings in until they're ready to go out? :D

Aya

I'm sure I could find one. I brought my tomato seeds in from the garage hoping they would germinate better in room temps, but so far still no luck :?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”