WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Alaska Peas-Pods Edible at any Stage of Development??

Ok sorry for all the long winded posts but....one more Q for you all...I was under the impression that the alaska pea was one that can be eaten shell/pod and all?? Am I incorrect in this?? I bought them based on this notion and already have them planted...if they are not pod edible I'll deal with it and shell them no big deal, but I was wanted a climbing well producing pea....am embarrassed to say I may not have done enough homework on this one, I have only grown peas one other time as they are a cooler weather loving veggie....and I am used to gardening in warmer climates....which they did NOT do well for me in the one other time I planted them lol....thanks guys! Oh and if they are edible at a younger stage I'm happy with that too :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

They are edible at all stages. I like them when they are small and you can just barely see the seed! Great in stir fry!! I even eat them when the peas are young right off the stock. The nice thing about the Alaskan is they get about 5 feet high and produce for a long time. I had them last year where they were climbing up my sunflowers. I have some up about a foot in my one cold frame! You will like them!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Great news!! Thanks for the quick reply! I'm happy to read that lol....thought my eyes were decieving me as the pictures also look like edible pods, but everything I see says that they are shelling peas....thanks a bunch!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

ok may be a dumb question but how do I remove a thread I've started....bobberman thanks for the info and my question has been fully answered (yay!) so I would like to remove this post thread so as to try not to clutter up the forum with a thread thats already been answered....any help is appreciated! thanks! :)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

LOL ok I just read in teeny tiny print below this that u cannot delete posts from this forum, ook, so that question is also answered lol

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

just an update here, my two sections of alaska peas are now exploding with growth and starting to grow up my trellises!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Next time try the sugar snap peas they grow taller and I eat them at every stage. You can still grow them this year! The alaskan are also good!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I like these ones but I don't think I saw any around where I live seed packets wise anyway but yes those are good!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Agway sells them even in a 6 ounce bag for abot $3

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

ok thanks, I don't think we have one where we live though,,,,I have plenty of stuff going right now though...going to put in a couple squash plants and I'm done planting for now prob tomorrow. :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

What I like about Agway is bulk seeds. I buy urea there by the pound and is real cheap! Onion sets and all kinds of their seeds. Bales of hay and straw! I usually don't buy big tomato plants but a few weeks ago I got a 2 foot supersonic tomato there for $5 to test out in my greenhouse.Here is a store finder link for Agway!
+++

https://www.insiderpages.com/store_finder/find/agway

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

ok thanks...don't have much room to plant large amounts of much but ill take a look anyway

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

yeah way too far away lol but it was a nice gesture thanks :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have 4 of them here within 10 miles in 4 directions.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”