gardenbean

"Living Stones"

Looking for any information on plants that can be used for pathway cover in their gardens. Want to use as much plant material in my garden for the health of my soil.
I've been told there are some that can be stepped on and it doesn't hurt the plants at all? :) Thank you.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, this is a new one to me. It seems like any plant that could survive repeated treading on would most likely have a "weedy" nature to it....not something I would want in my garden :shock:. Even grass dies back if you walk on it enough. However, I could be very wrong, these are just my observations.

On idea I could suggest to you, though, is that you make your pathways out of mulch. In my opinion, this would be even better for your garden because, unlike living plants, mulch decays and enhances your soil.

gardenbean

Thats'a good idea, using mulch for the walkways. It could a doeable thing too and maybe least expensive too. Thanks for the tip. :D

soil
Greener Thumb

try a nice thick path of white clover, not only will it be a nice path, it will fix nitrogen, provide habitat, and attract pollinators.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Irish moss and wooly thyme are meant to be walked on and they grow very well. I have quite a bit of both and they spread nicely but can be easily controlled.

They are both beautiful plants and flower early in the season. the irish moss is a lovely green and the wooly thyme is a grey green.

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

Do any of your local garden centers carry the "stepables" line of plants? https://www.stepables.com/

These are all plants that do well with foot traffic. Most of the GC's around here carry them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”