WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Bush Bean Seedlings in NE Ohio-When to Plant Outdoors??

My bush bean seedlings are more than ready to be planted outdoors but I am unsure of when to plant them...I know they prefer warmer weather but I am itching to plant outside lol. I hurried them up a bit and sowed them indoors a little on the early side for earlier production...but I am unsure of the minimum temps at night they will tolerate...I am unable to find any info on the internet regarding this. We have been getting low 40's and occasional high 30's at night lately here in NE Ohio. I already have my Kohlerabi and Brussel Sprouts and Carrots seedlings planted as of yesterday outside as I don't see many more below 40 nights on the horizon...been checking the weather religiously the last month. I've only lost a few seedlings and they are already splitting their leaf branches but that is another topic. My other question was how deep or high up the seedling should I plant them, like tomato's up to the first set of leaves? I am unsure on this one and am also unable to find any info on it on the internet as well. Anyone have any answers?? Anything you might know would be appreciated...this is my first garden in Ohio and have gardened in MO TX and CA but never Ohio...their zones are much different to the one here and temps. Thanks e1 and sorry for the long winded topic!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Well it looks like after this weekend, the following weekend will be the time to plant outdoors I'm guessing. Still watching the weather and it says after this weekend, we wont have any more below 40 nights and will all be in the 40's and by that weekend in the low 50's...yay!! I'm just itching to get the plants outdoors and I have a small garden (just 2 tomatos and 3 diff colored bells) to also plant for my fiance's adopted little girl to share a spot in the garden with her...she doesn't live with us but she loves being outside and was all excited about the thought of her new "Mom" (sortof, he just calls her his daughter, she's really not, we've just taken her under our wing so to speak) doing a garden! She'll have her own little corner to have fun with the plants and anything they produce she gets to take home and share with her mom and siblings (I'll be sending her home with more hopefully anyway though lol) I'm just hoping things will start warming up here faster!! Hurry it up spring, the rest of my gardening awaits!! ;)

gardenbean

Newbie here too :D

I never trust our weatherman at all! Says one thing; weather does another, but that's why I like gardening so.

If it isn't a "cool crop" plant, I wouldn't put any warm crop out until next month (unless of course you have row covers and things like that). Instead, just wait, until it gets warmer out. And yes I think waiting is the hardest part. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Temps in the 40s won't hurt the beans, but 32 sure will. Do you know the date of your average last frost? You could wait a week beyond that and be pretty safe. In any event, watch the weather and be ready to cover if the forecast suggests getting close to a frost.

Plant those beans up to the seed leaves.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

thanks guys, but I think our last frost has already come and gone....just wasnt sure the minimum temp's that the beans could withstand....I spent a lot of hard time in sprouting and making sure the roots got enough water etc lol....I wasnt sure if they could withstand 40's or not...thanks!...I'm so used to gardening in warmer climates...the cold climate of ohio is all new! :)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol and yes waiting has been the hardest part....my bean plants are already huge....tall I mean, but the second set of leaf buds are formed and growing steadily....so I might just move up my planting a few days ahead of schedule thanks!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”