gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

So far, so good

While pulling a few weeds yesterday I saw where I had a couple zucchini that could be harvested and the yellow crookneck are only a week or so behind. So far, no sign of the dreaded SVB and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can get a decent crop before they come----------and they will come.

My cucumbers are up and climbing and have many very small cucs developing. I have 2 varieties of pole beans going, Japanese Yard Longs and Dragon's Tongue. They are hitting the trellis, but so far, nothing in the way of even a bud, but it is early.

For salad greens, I have Swiss Chard growing along my cuc and bean trellis that is doing nicely. There is also some new Black Seeded Simpson that will not be around much longer as it heats up. I have some Purple Mizuna that is a nice addition to the salad bowl with a taste similar to Arugula and is heat tolerant.

Tomatoes are doing great and I should be picking some in a couple weeks if they keep going like they are. Last night my wife and I enjoyed some beets that are growing between the tomato plants and they were fantastic.

I put in 5 artichoke plants and they are spreading but I doubt I'll get much, if any, from them this year. I've grown them in the past and usually by the second year a good crop comes in if they over-winter.

My biggest let down so far is the soybeans I put in for edamame. The plants are beautiful, about 2 ft. tall, but have few beans on them so far. I'll give them a few more weeks to see what develops and if I don't see what I want, out they come and new going in to see if a different variety responds better. I didn't grow this particular variety last year and should have stuck to what worked in the past.

It also seems the garden soil I purchased at a local supplier in bulk to fill my raised bed was not as good a mix as they claimed. My onions that have been in there for over 4 months are not bulbing well so I've been giving them away to use as green onions. However the onions between my tomato plants are really nice with large bulbs developing, so all is not lost.

There will be tons of reports from you kind folks as your growing season progresses. I'm just lucky the weather has been great and our winter short this season.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh my, this is awesome. Here I sit with 4 inches of fresh snow this morning and the temperature is 28 degrees F. I am glad to hear you are having a good season.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Gumbo,
Reading to my plants your previous post about picking tomatoes soon worked! My tomato plants broke out in blossoms! Now I'll have to give my squash plants a read from this post. Keep it up--I'll have a better garden thanks to your efforts :lol: . Could you have some encouraging words to say to my corn?

Wish it were that simple!! If I had more room, I would likely put in some corn, but it would take up too much room in my plot to make it worthwhile. Corn can be had for about $.25 an ear in the summer down here.

I'd rather use the space for my Okra. Thirty plants of that will give me enough to last until I plant it again next spring and still have enough to give away to family and friends. They are in the ground now and are only about 6 inches tall.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the SVB situation. So far, no sign of the dreaded nemesis. If they do get me again this year, I'll find something to put in it's place in the garden. I saw where folks are planting a resistant variety of squash but I'm not a big fan of winter type squash but love the zucchini and yellow crookneck.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Oh my, this is awesome. Here I sit with 4 inches of fresh snow this morning and the temperature is 28 degrees F. I am glad to hear you are having a good season.

Jim, you must be chomping at the bit by now. There's not much you can do under those conditions except try to stay warm. Not to worry, I'll be envying your weather by July. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”