Hitched_Gibson

Very nice to know.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

You're very welcome...always great to know inexpensive ways to feed your garden....always expensive to start out, but make up for it in production in the end...so I try to save on the rest and feed with grounds :)

Hitched_Gibson

Dangit I'm getting excited. Just looked through CraigsList and found all sorts of poop, leaves and grass. Whoever thought I'd be looking for that online.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

We gardeners are a strange lot ;) LOL

Hitched_Gibson

If anyone is still reading my week old post, I'm trying to get a little more prepared. I've got some pallets to start a compost pile, along with sources of cheap/free compost material so that aspect is covered. I don't have the money for a tiller or fancy seed starting operations. Aside from some of the 48" shop lights and the itty bitty plastic pots, are there any other basics I need to get going?

Thanks again all.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

depends on what zone/area u live in, how big ur area/areas are, what you want to plant etc.....unless I missed u posting it before apologies :)

Hitched_Gibson

Well I don't know the technical area/zone, but it's southeast Texas. For now I've got an 8x8 area and a shovel. The area can be easily(logistically, not physically) expanded. I've got corn, cucumbers and tomatoes but would like to expand to peas, melons or whatever. I'm not picky. Just looking for other mid range priced items or projects that others consider basic that I might be overlooking.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Hitched_Gibson wrote:Well I don't know the technical area/zone, but it's southeast Texas. For now I've got an 8x8 area and a shovel. The area can be easily(logistically, not physically) expanded. I've got corn, cucumbers and tomatoes but would like to expand to peas, melons or whatever. I'm not picky. Just looking for other mid range priced items or projects that others consider basic that I might be overlooking.
Well for SE TX Peas may not do so well....they need cooler temps to do well...I tried peas when I lived in NE TX and couldn't get the plants to grow much higher than about 2' and only produced enough snow peas for one dinner side dish and a handful of sweet peas....radishes might be a good option, fash producers and great space fillers in between plants....most radishes are best when young so above ground ones will be ready to pick from seed planting to harvest in about 3 wks....but be careful you're ground is not too full of clay as a lot of ground in tx can be...corn you deffinitely need an area of 4x4 minimum to do well and are not really the best to grow at home unless you have a lot of space to devote to them....in tx a lot of growers produce sweet corn and so price per pound you would be better off giving that space to something you really want to grow....melons are good for tx growing but I would stay away from watermelons, seeds can be expensive and they only produce at best for a home grower 3-4 melons per plant and can grow up to 20'x20' in diameter for one plant....try zuchini or summer squash...I posted a recipe for oven fried zuchini in the recipe forum....summer crookneck can be substituted in that recipe as well. if you have sandy soil, try carrots, carrot and radish tops are great healthy greens as well and so a good all around veggie, same for kohlerabi, which is a fast growing and best harvested when young veggie....those tops are edible as well and can be substituted for kollards as well and if you reallly like greens you could try the hardier varieties like chard or kale which might stand up to tx heat better. green beans were one that my ex fiance's mother grew all the time and always did well in the tx heat....plants get about 2'x2' and are great fast producers....kentucky bush is best ive seen and heard and can also be packed in a little tight. if u like peppers, ive seen jalapenos do great in tx as well can be harvested when young or fully mature at any stage. also the kholerabi can be packed in tight as they are best when picked young anyway, mine are planted 5-6" apart as I plan on picking them when the bulbs (above ground bulbs) are about 2-3" in size, and radishes can be planted 1" apart. did I miss anything? lol anyone else chime in please!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”