mtgarden gal

rocks in garden?

Hi all!
I have a lot of small rocks in one half on my garden, mainly from a rock boarder that used to go around my yard. They are small, bout an inch wide size of rocks, but there's a lot of them. Picking them out would be a time consuming nightmare but I'll do it if I have to.
So my question is, do I need to? will they "hurt" my vegetable garden if I leave them there?

nosta

if you plant from seed, they may interfere with the sprouts. Just keep an eye on the seed planted areas and move any small stone that may be holding back an emerging seedling. Otherwise they will not hurt anything.

:)

soil
Greener Thumb

don't worry about it

mtgarden gal

:clap: :clap: yaaaaaaahhhh,
thanks guys!!

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

If the soil is dry and has nice loose texture you can build a screen that will allow the soil to fall through but separate the rocks out.

To build a soil screen, simply make a square out of 2x4's and staple hardware cloth to it. Each time you go out to the garden just shovel a few shovelfuls of soil onto the screen and shake it until the soil falls through.

If you have a small garden you can get the entire thing done pretty quickly, if you have a big garden you can just section it off and do a little at a time. Even if it takes you a decade, eventually you'll have gotten all those rocks out.

[img]https://www.hammerzone.com/archives/landscape/tools/sifter/xlgtss31aprl.jpg[/img]

mtgarden gal

Handsomeryan, that's a great idea! Thanks for the info! :D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If I screened my garden soil I wouldn't have anything left. I have lined the walk ways around my plots with a layer of sandstone shards ranging from 2"x2" up to the size of books. Anything smaller is just not worth picking out of the soil.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”