annastasia76

onions and bean plants

how far away from the bean plants do the onions need to be?? I read that you can't plant them together, they don't get along, but I would like to try to get some insect repelling benefits from the onions or garlic, so I was wondering how close I can have the onions/garlic without harming the beans.

Also are they any other plants that I should keep the onions/garlic away from??

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Look at the photos in my post "garden progression". I plant onions everywhere and have not found a plant they are not compatible with. I planted tomatoes in cages over some onions planted in January. The onions in the tomato cages are very large and the tomato plants are doing fine. My yellow squash plants grow so large, they eventually grow over the top of some onions just as the onion tops are turning yellow and dieing back. I leave the onions in the ground and simply lift a squash plant and dig onions as needed through the summer. I did basically the same thing with garlic last year.

Ted

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My onions may be aaaallll around the garden, Annastasia. They seem to fit in and do fairly well most anywhere - as long as they have their own patch of soil and spot of sunshine.

I put them with greenbeans only once and decided the beans didn't think that was the best place for them. So, I just don't plant them in the same row with the beans.

Steve

applestar
Mod

A while ago member Hendi_Alex experimented by planting onions and beans (or peas) together in a raised bed. If I remember correctly, he said that they did not seem to suffer incompatibilities when planted about 12" away from each other. His thread is here somewhere....

annastasia76

great, thank you, I just need to move them away from the beans then. I just hope now that my beans survive after 2 nights in a row of unexpected frost. I already know that my Chinese yard longs didn't survive.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

hmmmm....I had planned on using green spring onion seeds, cebollas, to fill in the gaps between my sweet pepper plants and my lima and green bean bushes....trying to maximize my output but carefully utilizing what space I have....so this is not a good idea then?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've planted beans in two different areas, near cucumbers and squash, and found them to do great! Those beans are pretty tough!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

sooo it's ok to plant them together then? okies...thanks guys! didn't mean to hijack anyone's topic thread LOL

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”