RuHappy69

Onion/Garlic question

Last year in mid may I planted garlic and onions. By the end of the summer I didn't feel they were 'pickable' because they still looked very small, so I left them all winter. They seem to be doing well again so far this year but I have no idea when I should pick them?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

When two thirds of the leaves are turning yellow and brown. The plant is beginning to die back and that's the time to go get em. Of course if you pull one at that point and you think it could use a little longer, let the other ones sit a while longer.

Also, keep in mind that the size bulbs you get directly correlates to the size bulbs you planted. Some of the smaller ones won't even grow into divided bulbs like you would bu from the store, but are still completely usable.

Remember to keep your biggest for planting this fall. And keep in mind, from now on plant that garlic in the fall and mulch it, and let it site through the winter. No more planting in May. :wink:

RuHappy69

the onions and garlic that's growing now leave until the early fall? Is that the time in NJ that two thirds of the leaves are turning yellow and brown?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I don't know if it will take until early fall since it has been growing for almost a year now. It really should be ready pretty soon. I'm saying when you plant your new crop this year, do it in the fall. In NJ, you'll probably need to plant in Sept.

I would guess your current crop will be ready in June. Maybe earlier. When the plant starts to die back, check it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I suspect the garlic will do fine. You should get some nice bulbs around July. Harvest when the leaves turn brown.

The onions left in the ground over winter will just want to go to seed this year. You could wait until they have some nice green tops, then pull them and strip off what is left of last years bulb and eat the green onions. Nothing wrong with letting them bloom and eating the blossoms. If you want to let some bloom and go for seed that is good too.

As a rule, plant garlic in the fall. Plant your largest cloves.

Plant onions in the early spring. You can plant sets, plants or seed. Harvest in the late summer for dry bulbs, or anytime. Onions may be eaten at any stage of their development.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”