ruggr10
Green Thumb

This is a good sign!

This may not be there right topic for this spot, but....

In the middle of where I'm expanding my garden this year is a stump from a freshly felled pine tree about 2.5 feet in diameter. The is still pitch bleeding up through the stump and yesterday I noticed there were about 30-40 mason bees enjoying the sweetness. Even though it's only been above 50 degrees for the last few days this is a great sign. Hopefully, pollination will not be an issue this year!!!

I should have taken a photo to share. It's raining today but I'll check again tomorrow.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Bees are quick to find things they like. I made home made beer 3 days ago. I did the slow cook on the kitchen stove then moved outside to drain the liquid off the grain. Bees were there in 60 seconds that was amazing how fast they came. 30 minutes later there were 100s of bees.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:Bees are quick to find things they like. I made home made beer 3 days ago. I did the slow cook on the kitchen stove then moved outside to drain the liquid off the grain. Bees were there in 60 seconds that was amazing how fast they came. 30 minutes later there were 100s of bees.
Bees like beer? No wonder they fly so crazy.

I have seen lots of bees as well, but most of them have been carpenter bees trying to pollinate the cedar trim on my house. Are these bees good for anything? Oh, one thing: My wife likes to watch them fight in air. They sorta remind us of a couple of small pups tuggling with each other, but in mid air.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

What does "tuggling" mean?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:What does "tuggling" mean?
A tuggle is a mix between a hug, a snuggle, and a tackle; it is what young pups do

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol I love that term...thats what my grey wolf does to me (Mommy) and my fiance (Daddy)...he does it all the time and he's almost 7! an adult by wolf standards but still playful and loving as ever! Still carries around and plays with teddy bears and squeaky toys and still has his Hospital Teddy Bear from when he was rescued at 2-3 wks old, he still carries that one....good luck in your garden ventures and you'll be eating fresh veggies and fruits in no time!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”