MIfarmgirl

Another soil question from a new gardener....

Hi all,

I have two gardens and am aching to get them going. We planted them last year and had great success with one and terrible results from the other, so I decided to test the soil this year before I plant a single seed. Both need enrichment, but I don't know what to buy/ add. Here are the results:

South garden:
Ph Neutral
N Very low
P Very Low
K Low

East garden:
Ph Alkaline
N Very low
P Low
K Very low

Could you suggest products/ substances I should add? (HUGE thanks) :)

Pam

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Add 15/15/15 fertilizer and corn needs nitrogen.

What is your soil like?

When I lived in Michigan about 1963 soil had lots of orgainc material and the cool weather made everything grow great. I remember 100s of butterflies I never saw so many butterflies in my life every day all day there was a continious river of butterflies moving across the yard. Looking off into the distance and I could see 1000s of butterflies as far as I could see in all directions. Totally amazing.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Compost and aged manure is a good way to go.

Eric

MIfarmgirl

Gary, the east garden is kind of sandy and loose; the south garden, which recently was yard, is dark, *was* rich with organic material, and grew great vegetables last year.

I usually don't see many butterflies on our farm, but birds of a huge variety are abundant! The finches are finally back, and I'm hoping the barn swallows will accompany me on my tractor again this year. :)

Thanks for your advice.

MIfarmgirl

Thanks for the suggestions, Eric. You mean aged manure as opposed to fresh?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Definitely aged manure; fresh manure would mean that you could *not* plant this spring. Fresh manure is too hot for new plants and would either stunt their growth or prevent them from growing altogether.

So aged/composted manure and regular compost can be added now and planted into right now. They'll continue to release nutrients on a slow, steady basis throughout the season. If water is a concern, mulching will help conserve water and slow down weeds (we have lots of threads discussing mulch here, too :) ).

If you have access to fresh manure, 1) I am envious, and 2) incorporate it into the soil when you put the garden to bed for the winter later this year. By the spring, the manure will have mellowed/composted sufficiently for planting, and you'll be ready to go again. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

MIfarmgirl

Cynthia,

THANK YOU for this information. I have heard that fresh manure isn't recommended, but I didn't know why.

We actually do have access to fresh (and free!) goat, cow, and horse manure, and my husband was getting ready to till in a giant trailer full. !

Thanks for helping me dodging that huge mistake....

Pam

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”