WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I'm deff gonna be thinning out my pea seedlings and my romain, which i just threw all over the ground LOL but I plan on eating the thinnings for fresh sprouts so no biggie for me....can't wait....looking forward to lots of fresh lettuce and peas!

Moonshadow

Re: can my new peas be too crowded?

With the wide row method, are you guys trellising, using bush varieties, or what?

With the tomato cages that were mentioned, and things like the teepee setups, aren't the peas on the inside hard to get to?

I'm trying to figure out what will work best in my space. :)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Gosh I can't remember what I did, mind you this was in 2011...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Enjoy those peas. Yes, they can be planted close. Plant plenty. I don't give them any special attention. Just plant them. They cling to each other. No trellis necessary.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Ooph brain malfunction when I replied previously my apologies. I did post previously in the thread what I had done for some reason I thought I had started this thread. Between illness, office computer issues I've been working on repairing for nearly a week and a business to still run I've gotten myself all turned about apparently lol.

Your peas look awesome Jal!

Oh and speaking of peas, I've planted a couple of giant (and I mean giant) tubs of Oregon Sweet Sugar Pod II Giant Snow Peas for the winter and have them under grow lights a few hours a day in my patio. They're being alternated so they get what little natural light we get through the windows and patio door during the day and the grow lights to make up for the lack of sunlight at night I think it's set for 6 hours. Patio doesn't get a whole lot of light but they're self pollinating so we'll see if the experiment works. :) They're next to my giant herb tubs too, also with grow lights, same setup. 2 kinds of basil, 2 kinds of oregano, thyme, marjoram and mixed Chinese chives.

Moonshadow

Wow! They do form quite a bit of a wall, don't they? The last (and first) time I tried peas, I was working in containers on a rental property. They were not very impressive at all. Got a few blossoms, but then no peas. :(

Hopefully I'll do better with them actually in the ground. I'll try with no trellis and see what happens. (I've got Sugar Sprints, I think, which don't get that tall....)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Peas respond well to water. Be sure to give them plenty.

When it comes to varieties, some are better for picking a few here and there, the development is spread out, while others seem to come ready all at once. The Ones that come all at once are called freezer peas. Read the descriptions and select the type you prefer. Maybe two or three varieties will be good? That is what I usually do.

[quote]With the wide row method, are you guys trellising, using bush varieties, or what?[\quote]

I use my seeder and plant 5 rows ten inches apart. Whatever length seems appropriate. No trellis, just let them do their thing.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Moonshadow

Looks like the Sprints are an extended harvest variety. I'll look into getting one to freeze, too, if I end up making enough space for more than one grouping of peas. Still trying to graph out my plots....

SOB
Green Thumb

I also do the wide row method. I first tried letting them grow with no trellis and while they did a good job of standing up on their own you still had to lift them up off the ground a bit to get all the peas. I guess the weight was too much for them.

This fall I planted the same way (12" wide row, peas about 2" apart at most) but put stakes down the middle with string horizontally every 8" or so to create a little trellis. This has helped out quite a bit as they are growing more upright now. I think the added support makes it easier to harvest.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”