JennieMig
Cool Member

Anyone else do this???

When new seedlings are popping up I help them out by removing some of the soil they're breaking through. Or, I'll remove the shell of the seed that they cant get off. I'm removing the flowers from the ends of my squash as they grow. Same with my tomatoes and peppers. I have moved beyond babying them, to what my husband calls an obsession. I love my plants :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm removing the flowers from the ends of my squash as they grow.
You can put the squash blossoms in a Mixed salad or batter and deep fry.

Eric

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I do the same thing. It's hard to resist giving them a helping hand! I found out, though, that removing the soil early can actually kill them. They need to gradually adjust to sunlight and will die if you expose them too quickly.

On my indoor seedlings, I occasionally have a problem with a seed capsule that just won't let go. I suspect uneven watering is the culprit :oops: I'll pinch them off. Generally, the plant has stunted cotyledons, but once its true leaves emerge, it's okay.

Now that I think about it, that happened with my direct sown beans last year. We had a lot of rain during germination, and several emerged with the seed pod stuck. Maybe it's too much water that causes it.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I always pull off the piece of seed that is stuck to the leaves. I've found that sometimes if I don't take it off, it just makes the seed-leaves kind of funny :?.

TWC015

I remove the seed covering if it is stuck on the seedlings as well. I also can't help but to check on how the seeds are germinating. I remove the soil on the seedlings I start indoors to see if they have germinated and then cover them back up.

Recently, I've been checking in the middle of my broccoli and cauliflower plants to see if they have the head forming. I was worried they may button since we had a week of temperatures in the 50s and 40s. So far, they are fine.

I've also been helping out the Brussels Sprouts plants. They are trying to flower but the center of the plants have too many leaves, like a cabbage, and I have to open them up for the plants.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Because of us, our food plants are the most successful species on the planet - I've read.

No, I don't go poking around in the soil to look at them. DW does that and I'm always going, "Leave them alone!!" I think I'm the better gardener but she is often telling me, "There's something wrong with those plants. You better check them out." She's always right - more simpatico. I'm just stumbling thru, I guess. :roll:

The seed casing can be a problem. It is either inhibiting the seedling or the seedling didn't have enuf viability in the 1st place to throw it off. How would we know which?

Yes, there may be environmental factors, too. It is one of those careful things I feel I have to do with these tiny critters. I mean, nobody expected me to be a concert pianist or a surgeon! It's a lot to expect from a guy with #13 boots and hands to match!!

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Anyone else do this???
No!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”