The Mad Hatter

Bug defence.

Last year was my very first year. I had my tail kicked by weeds and bugs. The weeds I will defeat this year. The bugs are what worries me now.

What does every recommend for keeping bugs away? Should I use seveni believe its called? Will this stuff work on all plants? I will have tomatoes peppers cucumbers brand and zucchini growing.

T.M.H.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I used seven religiously on my first garden and it did the trick, but only when the worms got out of control.

I haven't used seven in nearly two years. Just a lot of "seek and squishing". I still see some evidence of worms but I've caught most of them so far.....leafminers not included.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sevin kills insects alright, and lots of other things, too. It's pretty nasty stuff, in fact. :>

You might want to check out Wikipedia's article. If you want to skip the chemistry stuff, just scroll down the page until you come to Risk and Safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbaryl
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

The Mad Hatter

Well. With any kind of luck I wont have the weed problem that I did last year. I think that's why I had the bug problem. It was like Jurassic park in there.

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

Kisal wrote:Sevin kills insects alright, and lots of other things, too. It's pretty nasty stuff, in fact. :>

You might want to check out Wikipedia's article. If you want to skip the chemistry stuff, just scroll down the page until you come to Risk and Safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbaryl
Well I really don't see the need to wack the bees. Sahara product do you recommend?

T.M.H.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The Mad Hatter wrote:Sahara product do you recommend?

T.M.H.
Not quite sure I understand what you're asking. :?

However, I don't really do anything to prevent insects from visiting my garden. Many, after all, are useful. I prefer just to keep a close eye on my plants, and if I see pests appear, I treat to control them. Most soft-bodied insects can be killed with a soap & water solution. Larger pests, like slugs, snails and some caterpillars, are easy to pick off by hand.

In general, I prefer to remove insect pests by hand, because I don't want to kill the good ones, like ladybugs, assassin bugs, and others ... and of course, bees. Soap spray will kill beneficial insects, too, which is why I don't use even that randomly. JMO. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

The Mad Hatter

Marlingardener wrote:
It was like Jurassic park in there.
You do have a way with words, TMH!
I just got a book on companion planting, and I've found that a lot of plants can protect each other. Also, just practicing good sanitation (removing dead/diseased plants, having clean mulch) helps a lot. the book I have is Carrots love Tomatoes by Louise Riotte. If it isn't too late, you might want to try some companion planting and see if it works for you.
Honey, you ain't seen Jurassic Park until you've seen Texas bugs!
Actually, ten years or so ago I used to drive truck OTR. I left Dallas heading south. That's when I ran into the grass hoppers. These things were the size of ducks I swear. I had at the time a very beautiful freightliner with nice and shiny stacks. When I finally got to the job site it looked like someone had hit my poor truck with huge brown paintballs.

They were the biggest I have ever seen. I am prettsy sure they had special antennas so the air traffic controllers could help them land.

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

Kisal wrote:
The Mad Hatter wrote:Sahara product do you recommend?

T.M.H.
Not quite sure I understand what you're asking. :?

However, I don't really do anything to prevent insects from visiting my garden. Many, after all, are useful. I prefer just to keep a close eye on my plants, and if I see pests appear, I treat to control them. Most soft-bodied insects can be killed with a soap & water solution. Larger pests, like slugs, snails and some caterpillars, are easy to pick off by hand.

In general, I prefer to remove insect pests by hand, because I don't want to kill the good ones, like ladybugs, assassin bugs, and others ... and of course, bees. Soap spray will kill beneficial insects, too, which is why I don't use even that randomly. JMO. :)
Well, see I do 99% of everything on my Droid. I have this here tiny keyboard and great big thumbs and when I get excited its like trying to build a bird house with a sledge hammer. I tend to miss typos. I do however greatly appreciate your advice and help.

T.M.H.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The Mad Hatter wrote:Well, see I do 99% of everything on my Droid.
Well that explains it perfectly well! LMFAO

The eternally-helpful typo corrector! My iPhone does that to me sometimes, too. 99% of the time I love it, but once it awhile it drives me nuts! nutz:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”