shaefins

Broccoli and Cauliflower Questions

First time trying broccoli & cauliflower - both from seeds. I got a late start with them, so both only have about two sets of true leaves, if that. Questions:

- Can I throw them outside now, or do they have to get bigger?

- Do I need to harden them off first (they're indoors, under lights). I'm thinking yes, but wasn't sure since they're cold crops.

Thanks!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

They can go out now, but I would harden them off a couple of days. Give them some direct morning sun for a couple of days. One thing I will mention is that bugs love those things. Be prepared to deal with the bugs.

Hardening off has more to do with getting used to the much stronger light of the sun than temperature.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree about the hardening off. But personally, even though you are behind schedule for cold weather crops, I would let them get a little bigger first before putting them out. Wait until you have nice sturdy little plants, that look like small broccoli plants, instead of seedlings, if that conveys anything...

The sturdy little plants are much less vulnerable to insects, being blown over by wind, smashed flat by hard rain, etc etc. (However I did discover that being good sized and sturdy does NOT protect them from groundHOGS :x ).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”