lilcee

Something's wrong with my peas

I decided to try growing peas this year. I've never grown them in Florida before. The soil is so much different the what I'm used to in NY. Some of them look ok but some don't. Do they need something? Did I add too much fertilizer?
My husband spread old horse manure over the whole garde and worked it in. Then we put a little fertilizer in the rows when we planted so I wonder if we over did it?

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1381.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1380.jpg[/img]

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Hello from the Space Coast

Well not sure where in Florida you live or what type of peas, you probably have a better idea if you had a garden up north, but I had two different peas that I planted last fall and they did great, one is Caselode and I will have to go look at packet on other. It is getting hot and the ones I planted later (like in Jan) are really looking bad, I pulled a bunch out they were so bad, the others where in a big tub and I moved them out of the direct sun for part of the day they seem to be alright for now - I think it is too hot now. It was almost 90 today. So it may be the heat. Honestly your look fine to me, but if they seem to be petering out that is what I think it is heat. Last year it was cold through March and part of April, this year is is much much warmer. I can't beleive how hot it is - this weekend the low 90's for us. and we are on the coast. Good luck, hey if they do well let me know I would love to try some that do better in the heat - I love me some fresh peas. :wink:
I love this! - There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.

lilcee

Thanks, that may be what it is. I live in Jacksonville (North FL) and the temps have been in the 80's too. They have some shade during the day but it's prob still too hot. I'll remember that next year if I decide to grow them

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I agree that it is most likely the heat. Peas are a cool weather crop. Many of us up north plant them in the early spring and late fall for a fall crop.

The plants in the picture still look good, so you could try putting some type of lattice over them or shade cloth to block out some of the sunlight.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

lilcee

I grew up in NY but haven't lived there in over 30 yrs so I forgot how to plant peas :? . I was going by a chart I had and it said that peas could be planted in North FL up to Aug. Obviously that is wrong. I saw another chart that says March is the last month for peas in the Spring.
I'll remember next time to plant earlier. What about the Fall? I plan to plant carrots and beets in the Fall, would peas be ok too?
I haven't done much gardening here in FL because of the soil but last year we decided to try it again and it did ok so we thought we would add peas this year.
Have a lot to learn - I miss my Northern Garden :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”