deboog93
Newly Registered

starting new garden

I have started some of my plants indoors to get them going. I am getting ready to till mysection of yard for my garden. currently just weeds and some grass. do I need to do anything to the soil when I first get started. fertilizer/manure? I am in an area that has mostly clay based soil in N.C. going to grow

string beans
bell peppers
lettuce
cabbage
carrots
soinach
cantlope
watermelon
and trying some corn

next question is if seeds are kept dry how long will they last. my garden is not going to be huge so I have plenty of seed left over wondering if they can be used next year?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would be OK to add some manure (bagged) or compost. Don't put fresh manure on it now. You can use fresh manure in the fall if you have it available. Don't overdo any of this stuff. It only takes a little bit.

Seeds will begin to lose viability with time. Different varieties will remain viable Longer. lettuce is short lived, but all your seeds should be good next year. Keep them cool and dry.

wisconsingal

My garden is also small, I always have seeds left over after planting, and I've successfully used many of them for 2-4 seasons depending on the type. I'm not sure what helps them keep longer, maybe that they spend the winter in my cool basement?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Many (but not all) seeds will remain viable for a number of years. I have successfully sprouted five year old tomato seeds. But it helps to store them in paper bags (not plastic which tends to collect moisture/condensation - moisture ruins seeds) in the refrigerator or freezer.

Your clay soil will definitely benefit from having something added to lighten it up. Compost would be my choice. You will need to buy some now, but read in our Compost Forum and start making your own compost. Best thing you can do for your garden.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:...
Your clay soil will definitely benefit from having something added to lighten it up. Compost would be my choice. You will need to buy some now, but read in our Compost Forum and start making your own compost. Best thing you can do for your garden.
I second that ! :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”