digitS'
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:. . . I don't grow cucumbers, because I'm not fond of them, but I grow squash which are in the same family. I start them indoors for the little head start, but you really don't need to. They are fast to germinate and grow.
. . . but, that "little head start" helps, a little.

Some years, I have trouble getting winter squash to adequately mature so I began to always set them out as started plants. I will even do that with some late-planted summer squash that can be popped in to the garden just when space is available. I even started the cukes last year.

Stella, the Cucurbits only benefit from 4 weeks or maybe even a day or 2 less, indoors. And, being careful with them is important. I probably only gain about 2 weeks to the growing season.

Beans? I am usually in no hurry to plant beans. They are a great 2nd crop well into July, when some other veggies can't even get started because of the heat or shortness of the remaining season. Anyway, what that means is that I've got an awful lot of beans for the kitchen during the 2nd half of the season!

Steve

The Mad Hatter

Thank you so very much for the replies. I will be getting the crop netting up sometime today and may very well stick some seed into the dirt. The package says to plant every two weeks and I want alot of beans for canning.

Thanks again everyone!

T.M.H.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Earlier I said "Not Beans" I was talking about starts for sale.

I have started and probably will again this year, beans in gutters.

Peas.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03257.jpg[/img]
Beans.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC02114.jpg[/img]

Squash, Cuccumbers and pumpkins are started in 4" pots. They are sold at the 3rd or 4th week.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”