Rogue11

New garden setup

I work as a personal chef, and recently my client asked me if I could/wanted to do some gardening in their backyard. Last year I had taken some of my extra cherry tomato plants to their house and grew them in pots, along with some herbs that I use a lot.
Since I love gardening and like the inconvenience of just getting something fresh from the garden I happily agreed. Knowing what they like to eat and what I often use for cooking, I sat down and made a list of what I want to grow.

Ground space is a little limited so I picked some plants that will grow in containers and some for trellis.

In the ground:
Tomatoes (which I already grew from seeds for myself and have some extras of) are mostly Cherries
Italian Ice
Red Lightning
Tangerine Mama
Isis Candy
Sunsugar Golden
Black Pearl

Peppers (also grown already)
Sweet Big Daddy
Orange Belle
Pinot Noir
Chocolate Beauty
Hot Hungarian Waxpepper
Peruvian Purple Chile Pepper

Herbs: (I'll move them from pots to the ground once I got the beds made)
Basil
Oregano
Thyme
Lemon Thyme
Chives
Curley Leaved Parsley
Rosemary

Other (getting seeds for those today)
Black Beauty Zucchini
Japanese Cucumber
Persian Cucumber
Pole Beans

In containers: (haven't started seedlings for them yet either)
Bush Slicer Container Cucumber
Little Prince Container Eggplant
Container lettuce for the fall when it gets cooler

Sunshine Blue Blueberry bush

Any other suggestion of veggies that grow well in pots or that can be grown on trellis? Also there is a large concrete area in the back of the garden where I could put more containers or pots. It even has a sprinkler (who thought of putting a sprinkler in an concrete area I don't know) that I could convert into a drip line. But the area gets only a few hours of sun, maybe 2-3 hours during the noon and early afternoon hours. Is there anything that would grow well with only a few hours of sun?

Thanks

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Of course, most of what you have chosen so far are sun-lovers, you know.

Lettuce, spinach, bok choy and onions are what I grow in a location that gets only morning sun. In my experience, afternoon shade is much to be preferred to morning shade/afternoon sun. You may find that you can grow lettuce there far longer than what you might expect.

If you are moving the herbs to beds soon, you might just want to wait to purchase the plants then (altho' basil makes a good container plant, start to finish). Most of the herbs really should be grown from cuttings and not started from seed, anyway. So, I assume those will all be from the garden center/farmers' market.

Oh, and the chives would be happy in the shade. The chives I have do fine with very, very little direct sun.

I'm not too good with containers but your drip irrigation should take care of the problem I have with getting water to the plants in a timely manner.

Steve
edited to add: Would you like to have Malabar spinach on a trellis? Quite attractive as well as tasty.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Sugar Snap Peas in the fall (unless your summer is still far away), Chard - loves shade, green beans, acorn squash.

Keep in mind that growing veggies in containers on concrete is a real different challenge than in dirt. In the heat of the summer sun, the roots can get cooked in a short time. A workaround is to line them with something like Mylar or something else that will deflect the heat.
like the inconvenience of just getting something fresh from the garden
I take it you mean the convenience!

Good luck! Nothing like a chef who knows what he wants to grow and how to grow them!

Mike

Rogue11

digitS' wrote:Of course, most of what you have chosen so far are sun-lovers, you know.
Yes, all of those will be in the full sun, from a round 9 am till 6pm (or later)

If you are moving the herbs to beds soon, you might just want to wait to purchase the plants then (altho' basil makes a good container plant, start to finish). Most of the herbs really should be grown from cuttings and not started from seed, anyway. So, I assume those will all be from the garden center/farmers' market.
No, actually I have those herbs since last year (bought plants at the nursery) except for the chives which I (or rather my clients 3 year old son) raised from seeds. They are currently in 2 21 inch containers but I want to put them into the ground to give them more room and also because I want to use the pots for the dwarf blueberry bush and the container eggplant.

: Would you like to have Malabar spinach on a trellis? Quite attractive as well as tasty.
Oh, I didn't even realize Malabar spinach grew on trellis. I usually have to go to one of the Asian supermarket to get it. I will definitely put that on my list.

Thanks a lot

Rogue11

wordwiz wrote:Sugar Snap Peas in the fall (unless your summer is still far away), Chard - loves shade, green beans, acorn squash.

Keep in mind that growing veggies in containers on concrete is a real different challenge than in dirt. In the heat of the summer sun, the roots can get cooked in a short time. A workaround is to line them with something like Mylar or something else that will deflect the heat.
Oh, I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to consider what to do.
like the inconvenience of just getting something fresh from the garden
I take it you mean the convenience!
oops :) That's what happens when I try to use the computer before I had my morning coffee.
Good luck! Nothing like a chef who knows what he wants to grow and how to grow them!

Mike

thanks.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”