annastasia76

garlic from seed??

I was told the other day that garlic will help better at repelling bugs than onions, I know that it is most likely too late to get a good garlic bulb at harvest time but I would like to get the garlic growing for repelling pests, any suggestions on what kind of seeds for garlic should I be buying or should I be buying bulbs?? will garlic bulbs from the grocery store work for what I want or should I be buying something online (I have never seen garlic for growing in the stores)

I'll also take any suggestions on how to intermingle it with my other plants. I currently have the onions growing 4" apart along the backs of the rows of my other veggies.

ButterflyGarden

I just pick a nice head from the grocer. You can't get the fancy types that way, but I don't have access to mail order. They grow just fine.

soil
Greener Thumb

most garlic is planted with cloves, even if you order some online, they send cloves.

BUT, since I grow all my own garlic, every now and then I get what I call "garlic seeds" which after blooming look like tiny tiny garlic cloves. I plant these to get new stock and new varieties.

they grow very small the first year, from there you can select for taste and such. plant the biggest of the little cloves in the fall and you'll end up with small garlic, the following year if you plant the biggest cloves again you'll end up with big giant garlic of a variety you CANT buy anywhere else.

I was probably rambling so yea buy the best garlic you can find, even if its kind of expensive. plant a good amount of cloves in the fall and youll have more garlic than you can eat in a year and plant for next year by summers end.

soil
Greener Thumb

most garlic is planted with cloves, even if you order some online, they send cloves.

BUT, since I grow all my own garlic, every now and then I get what I call "garlic seeds" which after blooming look like tiny tiny garlic cloves. I plant these to get new stock and new varieties.

they grow very small the first year, from there you can select for taste and such. plant the biggest of the little cloves in the fall and you'll end up with small garlic, the following year if you plant the biggest cloves again you'll end up with big giant garlic of a variety you CANT buy anywhere else.

I was probably rambling so yea buy the best garlic you can find, even if its kind of expensive. plant a good amount of cloves in the fall and youll have more garlic than you can eat in a year and plant for next year by summers end.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”