Avonnow
Green Thumb

Onion Question

I read the older post about onions, and I just got some more (sets) I have some from last fall in the ground and some that I tried from seed. My question - why do they say to pull the dirt away from the bulb. How much of the bulb should show and why? Onions I take it do not need to be planted deep - correct? :shock:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

definitely don't plant too deep. When planting the sets, you only want them about 1" in the ground. I'm not sure about uncovering the bulbs as you say. The bulbs kind of show as they grow. Expanding above the soil surface as well as all other directions. I'm wondering if exposing the bulbs only applies if you are starting from seed.

Maybe we'll both learn something from this one. But when it comes to the sets, I can tell ya for sure, 1" is all they'll need. And they'll probably droop a bit for a week or so, but the spring back up before long. Just water them in lightly but thoroughly when you plant to make sure the roots don't dry out.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173759&highlight=onions#173759]Onions[/url]

You don't plant them very deep. No need to pull the dirt away. Some writer needed something to write one month ..................

Tonythegardener

When planting onion sets, I just gently push them in the soil. Sometimes birds will pull the sets out of the ground but they are easily replanted and do not seem to suffer.

The theory about pulling the soil away from the bulb is so that the bulb can mature in the sunligh and heat. This will make the onions better to store. The onion bulbs go a deep brown colour when they are mature. I do not pull soil away from the bulbs but I do lift the bulb slightly when the foliage has fallen down onto the soil. I also arrange the foliage neatly so that they do not shade the bulbs.

Tonythegardener

When planting onion sets, I just gently push them in the soil. Sometimes birds will pull the sets out of the ground but they are easily replanted and do not seem to suffer.

The theory about pulling the soil away from the bulb is so that the bulb can mature in the sunligh and heat. This will make the onions better to store. The onion bulbs go a deep brown colour when they are mature. I do not pull soil away from the bulbs but I do lift the bulb slightly when the foliage has fallen down onto the soil. I also arrange the foliage neatly so that they do not shade the bulbs.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”