wordwiz
Green Thumb

Question about melons

Background:

The garden area I am leasing has some steep hills on a couple of sides. It's a demonstration project, so the idea is to grow as many types of veggies and fruits as possible. What I don't have in a garden, I have to maintain, as in mowing or somehow cutting weeds and grass.

The hilly area is about 15 feet wide, the top is level. My thought is to plant dwarf fruit trees in the middle of the hill but then I wondered - can I plant melons - watermelons and cantaloupes above the trees (the trees are seedlings - 2-4' tall at best) and let them grow down the hill. They would soon shade the ground, keeping the grass/weeds from growing. AFAIK, the melons would not rob the soil of any nuits. I'm just not sure if they would try to wrap around the trees and if they do, if trimming them would have an adverse effect.

Thoughts?

Mike

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Trees are the enemy of garden plants. They compete for sunshine, water and soil nutrients, always winning over other plants.

Why would you plant fruit trees on a leased lot?
Do you have a 15 year lease?

Melons will not hold down weeds nor grass.

Any plant growing will take nutrients from the soil.

I don't think melons would try to climb a small tree.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Trees are the enemy of garden plants. They compete for sunshine, water and soil nutrients, always winning over other plants.
They wouldn't be competing, at least the first year. The trees will not have much in the way of branches or leaves.
Why would you plant fruit trees on a leased lot?
Do you have a 15 year lease?
No. Perhaps stupid of me, but the trees are dwarfs and should be producing fruit in a couple of years. Plus, this is a Demonstration Project - one reason I was able to lease 15,000+ sq. ft. for $5. I want to try to grow a large variety of fruits and veggies.
I don't think melons would try to climb a small tree.
That's good! But as far as holding down weeds and grass, those things don't seem to grow very good if they do not get any sun. I know I do not get any weeds under large squash plants, at least if I pull them up before the squash starts shading the ground.

I'll post pics and harvest totals - that's part of the deal. As well as tracking Growing Degree Days from transplant to harvest, rainfall, fertilizer used - all those things. Almost like a college experiment!

Thanks,

Mike

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The problem with weeds in a melon patch, they grow as fast as the melons. They may even grow faster while the weather is still cool. Melons take off when it gets hot. I always have to weed the melon patch a couple of times until the melons get going good.

That is a large area. You have your work cut for you. You will be able to raise as many varieties as you please.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”