goldfinger
Newly Registered

Is it possble to over fertilize using organic fertilizers?

I found some old bone meal and blood meal from years ago. I know it has to be good in some ways but I use Miracle Grow these days. Would like to get rid of the older organic material. No instructions on how much to use. It is possible to put down too much blood and bone meal on the soil to the point where it might kill off everything? I only have spinach out now but will be putting cucumber,peppers and tomatoes out in a month or so.

Thanks

Goldfinger

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'll just use some quotes [url=https://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07611.html]from Colorado State University[/url] for an answer:

"When an excess amount of nitrogen is applied to fruit crops such as tomatoes and squash, it is common to have all vines and no fruit. . . When excessive amounts of nitrogen are applied to root crops such as turnip, carrot and parsnips, you may end up with many leaves and small roots."

. . . without a soil test . . . Apply up to 1/2 pound of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet for this application. . . . If using blood meal (~15-1-1), use three and one-third (3 1/3) pounds of this product per 1,000 square foot area. Water the fertilized area to help move the fertilizer into the soil. Avoid applying dry fertilizer on foliage as burning can occur."

I hope that helps. It is really best to wear a mask when applying that blood meal.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”