Yogas
Cool Member

Gardening mix, potting mix recipes?

I keep reading about people making their own mixes. I usually just buy the Miracle Grow mix at Home Depot. Could anyone share what you use or make for your pots and possibly, your garden?

speedster7926

I do the same I buy the 1.5 cubic ft of miracle grow garden soil but I only add a few bags just to give it a boost the I add some top soil from around the property and I get some other stuff from my grandmothers property. she has chickens, ducks, and geese so I get free goodies lol and I shovel out some good stuff out of her ditches. my plants go nuts lol

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am glad you ask! I plant about 40 boxes for seeds sarting that contain about 15 pounds of mix! If I were to use all bought potting mix it would cost too much! I buy any type of a good seed starting mix and put it on top of my own soil! I have a area in the garden that has rich soil which in the fall I cover with leaves.
+++
Around march when I start my seed boxes I strain the ground under the leaves and add either sand or something I think will make the soil lighter or better. This year I tried some bought pine wood shavings! I put the mix in the 5 inch deep box to about 3 inches deep over top a few sheets of newspaper. I add some urea or mostly I add a little blood meal. I cover the soil from the garden wih about a 1/2 inch of seed starter and pat it down.
+++
I sprinkle my seeds on the top then cover the seeds with another 1/2 inch of seed starting soil and pat down and add a little water and cover with plastic or glass! I get very few weeds and my plants can stay in the boxes for a longer time! I also put a layer of leaves over the paper in some of the boxes then the dirt and blood meal! I don't think there is any set way just use common sense and make something that will keep the moister and fed the plants! Most of the time when I empty the box I see a few worms in the bottom! I plant seeds close and thin as I need them.This year I may sell plants in regular 4 or 6 packs!
+++
What I don't like about most seed starters is the lack of water absorbtion and a quick drying. My garden soil seems to work better with roots and holds moisture longer! Once I get a sweat chamber I will be in a league with DDog! I really like straining dirt and getting my fishing bait at the same time! I should have been a farmer or a Amish! Is there any ladies in their 50's that have a farm looking for a husband?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I really like straining dirt and getting my fishing bait at the same time! I should have been a farmer or a Amish! Is there any ladies in their 50's that have a farm looking for a husband?
LMFAO Frank, Your a crack up!

SOB
Green Thumb

I came across this yesterday. I'm a noob and small scale enough to where I buy the Jiffy Mix potting soil but I found this recipe interesting...

[url]https://wannafarm.com/soilblock-recipe/[/url]

kimbledawn

Hi, I make my own mix.

Coconut coir
worm castings
sifted compost
azomite
biochar
perlite
miocorizii(terrible spelling)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

For starting seed, I probably used garden soil 40 years ago. I have forgotten. When I left the farm and went to work at a commercial greenhouse, I believe we used Sunshine Pro-mix.

After I left the greenhouse, I started to use Black Gold potting soil. One year, I got some cheap brand at the hardware store. I'll never forget the "happy daisy face" on the front of the bag :evil: !

Dang stuff nearly ruined my entire season!

Anyway, I am too timid to start my plants with anything else . . . If I was forced to, I'd use some alternative that others could vouch for. Left to my own devices, I will continue to start plants in Black Gold.

Potting up to larger containers after the starts are a couple of months old -- I have used other Sun Gro products (Sun Gro makes Black Gold, Sunshine, etc.). And, I have made my own mix from sifted top soil, peat moss and composted manure. For seedlings, I'd better use Black Gold.

[url=https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/potmix.html]The National Sustainable Ag Info Service has recipes for potting mixes.[/url] Scroll about 2/3rds of the way down the page.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”