Rogue11

Cucumber question

Can cucumbers be harvested early (like baby squash) when they are still small in size?
I want to try growing cucumbers this year and had hoped to find persian seedlings or seeds locally. No luck however and the only place I could find persian cucumber seeds online didn't have very good reviews.
So I was wondering, what if I would grow a different variety but harvest them when they are still 3-4 inches long?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but the last time I remember growing cucumbers was in my parent's garden about 3 decades ago. And even then my brothers were in charge of the cucumbers and beans. Being the youngest and smallest I was responcible for stuff low to the ground like radishes and carrots :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'ts tough being the baby, I'm the youngest of four boys.

I'm pretty sure most cucumbers can be harvested at a young age, some are even better when small.

Eric

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

As Eric said, most can indeed be harvested at the small size. There are some differences though. If you want the best flavor, look for the cukes "pickler/pickling" in description.

Some of the easiest veggies to grow from seeds, germination in 2-4 days, and really really fast growers from there... Most picklers are ready to harvest in just around 50 days after transplant.

Have fun!

Regards,
D

EDIT: For your "Persian baby cukes" - if you talking about Reimerseeds - don't bother! Here is the link to this variety from a source many including myself trust for quality seeds: [url=https://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/seeds-hm/vegCh.htm#cuke]Reneesgarden.com[/url] They have your seeds...

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Lemon cucumbers are little balls most edible at 2-3 inch diameter if you want small things.

Rogue11

TZ -OH6 wrote:Lemon cucumbers are little balls most edible at 2-3 inch diameter if you want small things.
Ah yes, I love those. I already have some lemon cucumber seeds planted. But I wanted a second, green variety too.
Thanks.

Rogue11

Thank you, DoubleDogFarm and Duh_Vinci.
I ordered some seeds from that site you linked. Baby Persian along with Japanese. I like the flavor of the later too, and will see how they are when I harvest them small.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good deal!

Let us know later how those do for you!

Regards,
D

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

lemon cukes, those sound cool! I'll have to see if I can find some of those seeds.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Jeff,

I think I have plenty of seeds from 2010, if you want some, just PM me with your address, will send you the seeds...

Regards,
D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”