annastasia76

question about milk solution (time to spray)

my spinach is once again getting powdery mildew, after the recent storm, so since I have recently heard about spraying with a 10% milk solution I am going to attempt to spray and see if it works. is there a good time of day to spray it?? do I spray it and leave it on? how much do I need to saturate?

I also have the same questions about spraying with a soap solution for bugs.

applestar
Mod

Since the Milk Solution "cultures" lactobacillus bacteria which will fight off and/or out-compete the fungal infection, I spray when it's overcast or near sundown, avoiding strong direct sunlight. Be sure to spray from below as well as above.

According to HG, because the bacteria will form sticky film, it's not as critical if it rains as long as they've had enough time to attach themselves -- I.e. There is no need to worry that they get washed off and you don't want/need to rinse them off, especially with water directly out of the tap if it is chlorinated.

annastasia76

we don't have chlorinated water, is that going to make a difference??

applestar
Mod

That's good. Chlorinated or fluoridated water will kill or weaken the bacterial culture. I use rainwater or de-chlorinated water for the Milk Solution.

annastasia76

sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate all the help.

how long does it take to start working? how often should I spray, and what kind of milk is better, as in whole vs 2%

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”