SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm in MA and thinking of trying for a fall/winter crop of Brussells sprouts... what would be a good time to start the plants, then finally get them in the ground? I kind of have to wait for my current plants in my garden to start dying off before I can plant anything else, since room is lacking.

TWC015

SPierce wrote:I'm in MA and thinking of trying for a fall/winter crop of Brussells sprouts... what would be a good time to start the plants, then finally get them in the ground? I kind of have to wait for my current plants in my garden to start dying off before I can plant anything else, since room is lacking.
You should probably be starting your seeds now and planting them out in July whenever you have room. They take at least 3 months to get harvestable sprouts from transplanting. They will also slow down once you get into October and November, depending on your temperatures. The temperatures in October and November here are perfect for Brussels Sprouts, but in the northeast they may be too cool.

I'll be starting my seeds around July 1; If I start much later than this, I won't have big enough plants for a fall crop and will have to wait until February to harvest.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I put a row of Brussel seeds in yesterday and will thin when they come up!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

TWC015 wrote:
SPierce wrote:I'm in MA and thinking of trying for a fall/winter crop of Brussells sprouts... what would be a good time to start the plants, then finally get them in the ground? I kind of have to wait for my current plants in my garden to start dying off before I can plant anything else, since room is lacking.
You should probably be starting your seeds now and planting them out in July whenever you have room. They take at least 3 months to get harvestable sprouts from transplanting. They will also slow down once you get into October and November, depending on your temperatures. The temperatures in October and November here are perfect for Brussels Sprouts, but in the northeast they may be too cool.

I'll be starting my seeds around July 1; If I start much later than this, I won't have big enough plants for a fall crop and will have to wait until February to harvest.
wow, this early? Ut oh..maybe I can't grow them this year. I literally don't have much room in my garden right now at all. Can I plant them between other plants without hurting the other plants? I really want to give a fall crop a try this year

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”