Vege grower
Newly Registered

what heirloom vegetables grow well in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Hi There,
I was wondering what heirloom vege's grow well in Louisiana?
I am trying to grow all heirlooms in my garden.

Thank you for any information you may be able to provide

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'll see if I can help a bit here. Not all the things I grow are heirloom, but they do grow well for me in this hot/humid climate.

Right now I have Creole, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Julliette Plum and Green Zebra tomatoes, with the majority being Creoles.

For peppers, I am growing Jalapeno, Hungarian Yellow Hot Wax, Sweet Banana Peppers and Bell Peppers.

For beans, I am now growing Japanese Yard Longs(pole beans), have grown Kentucky Wonder pole and bush beans, Purple Pod Pole Beans and for Edamame, I grow Envy Soybeans twice a year.

I love Okra and every summer have about 30 Clemson Spineless plants.

I grow many greens in the fall and some of them over-winter and last until summer. I use 2 types Swiss Chard, Fordhook Giant and Bright Lites. Lettuces usually consist of Black Seeded Simpson, Red Oak Leaf, and Buttercrunch. I also grow a Mesculin Mix of bitter greens, some Arugula, and Dwarf Blue Curled Kale.

I plant Georgia Collards each fall along with Brussel Sprouts and Broccoli and enjoy a bountiful harvest with these. I can't remember which variety of Sprouts and Broccoli I planted this year but they produced very well. I should keep a journal since CRS is creeping in.

Here's a couple sites to see what they offer in Heirlooms. El Dorado Heirloom Seeds, Seed Savers Exchange and look at this site for more info-----LSUAgCenter.com for a Planting Guide for our area.

Hope this helps a bit.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I read my post and forgot the cucumbers, eggplant and squash.

I am growing Black Beauty and Ichiban Eggplant. For cucumbers, I am growing 3 varieties, Straight Eight and Armenian for slicing and General Lee for pickling. For Squash I have Yellow Crook Neck and Green Zucchini. This is the one plant I've had a lot of problems with and it seems many folks on the group suffered the same set-back with Squash Vine Borers last year. I lost all my plants to this pest on 3 different occasions last year from spring until early fall. I barely harvested much off the plants I had due to their infestation. There are varieties that are resistant to borers, but I'm not fond of those.

Vege grower
Newly Registered

Thank you so much Gumbo and Marlingardener for all of the helpful information. That is just what I needed to know. I will also check out the websites you recommended too.

God bless you!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

As for varieties of seed, and great info, do contact Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They have been used as a source for seeds for several years at Ft Toulouse (18th c French, n of Montgomery AL).

This past weekend I put in some sunflower starts there, seeds from them. These are Cucumber Leaf, Gulf Coast native. I also got some cotton seeds from them, Nankeen and Mississippi brown. My plantation will be a couple of containers on the deck! I've grown the brown cottons before, just for fun.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”