shaefins

Direct Seeded Snap Pea Questions - Updated

Last year none of my snap peas direct seeded in the bed sprouted - not *one*. This year I figured I'd try pre-sprouting them first, and had a really good germination rate. I planted them out on 3/20 and 3/23 - 8 and 5 days ago; soil temp was coming up around 42-45 and was very workable (this is a raised bed filled with compost, peat & vermeculite). Since then, it has snowed and been very cold for several days. As these peas were pre-sprouted, what can I expect as far as them popping through the surface? I'm thinking....wouldn't they just freeze in there? The bed was frozen the other morning - the surface was, anyway. I was able to push my finger through the crust and underneath was soft, but very cold.
Last edited by shaefins on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorax
Greener Thumb

They might be done for. Peas are generally pretty hardy, but only once they've sprouted - if your little roots are frozen, you're SOL, unfortuately.

However, if you soak your peas for 24 hours before direct-sowing, you'll see your germination rate go right up - they seem to like to be hydrated really well before sprouting.

Best of luck! :()

shaefins

The 24 hour soak was the method I tried last year (should have mentioned that in the original post), with 0% germ rate. I have to think they rotted away or something. Hence the pre-sprouting this year. *sigh* Perhaps peas just aren't going to work for me in my garden, no matter how I approach it. I have a handful of seeds left....perhaps I'll soak some and toss them out there and then sprout a few more in a week or so and try those again as well.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Some members of the forum have indicated that the use of legume inoculants has helped with success in planting peas/beans in the garden. I'm fortunate in that I haven't used them but have still gotten plants to come up, but I may just be lucky sometimes. (And when I'm not, I say the heck with it and buy a 6-pack of plants--not nearly as many as I would've had with the direct-seed approach, but *something,* at least.)

Maybe look into inoculants? A search of the forum is bound to give you some good, specific info. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Peas are cold hardy, however to get good germination the ground needs to be somewhat warm. Different varieties have a little different tolerance for cold soils. It is no different than many other seeds like corn or beans for instance, if you plant and it turns off cold the seed may rot rather than sprout.

Commercial seed companies often treat seed with captan to prevent rotting if the soil is cool. I think most of us would rather not have that in the garden.

Legume inoculants are not to improve sprouting, but rather it is a nitrogen fixing bacteria that forms nodules on the roots and will fix atmospheric nitrogen that the plants can use.

Take a look at the weather forecast. If you have 4 days of sunshine in the forecast, plant. if not, wait. Plant peas 1 inch deep. Firm the ground after you cover them. This removes air pockets that can dry the seed and kill it. Good Luck.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

As these peas were pre-sprouted, what can I expect as far as them popping through the surface?
Forgot to address this. My guess, they will come up when you get some sunshine. (I want a report)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I planted my peas in a cold frame with a light cover on top. The peas came up anout 4 inches now anmd it was 17 degrees last night and all I have over the cold frame is a screen to keep the cats out! They are fine and itwill be 19 tonight. ! A little snow won't hurt then because once the ground is warm it protects them and the snow actually protects them holding the ground heat below the snow.! I would say if its below 20 day and night a few days in a row you may have a problem!
Last edited by Bobberman on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

I have more problems with the birds eating the young sprouts rather than germination. soak overnight in room temp water, plant and barely cover.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Once you put the peas out get some old screens and set the screens on bricks over the peas to deter the birds. When they get bigger the birds won't bother them!

shaefins

I think Jal might be on to something. When I planted the sprouted peas, I pushed my index finger down about an inch to an inch and a half or so (figuring I needed to compensate for their little sprouted roots). I'm thinking, when I pushed soil back over them, the indentation from my finger might not have been filled in all the way. My medium is a soil-less mixture, and it compacts when you push something into it. Perhaps they're not covered enough around the root. I did uncover one yesterday to see what was going on. It wasn't rotted, the tail was longer and more curled, but nothing more than that - still just a pea w/ a tail.

I took the window panes I plan to make a cold frame out of (you know the saying about plans....) and placed them over the raised bed sides. If I don't see anything happening by the end of this weekend, I'm going to consider it a bust and try to start over again. I fear, though, that it's going to leave me with too short of a season for me to harvest well. I will pick up some innoculant before then, as I'll need it for my beans later this season anyway. I'll do the soak and cover them w/ at least a screen, if not the panes, to keep the critters out. Bobber - you're not too far from me and probably a bit colder (I'm in a NW suburb of Pittsburgh) - you give me hope! :)

Jal - t's been rather cold here - high 30s with some low 40 days, though it's been sunny the past 3 or 4 days, and now cloudy today. 10 day FCST shows partial sun on days 5 & 9 only, though temps are edging towards 50-55 during the 2nd half of the 10 days. Anyone else have a feeling this is going to be a weird/crappy growing season, at least in the NE?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It wasn't rotted, the tail was longer and more curled, but nothing more than that - still just a pea w/ a tail.
I think it has been too cold. If it is sprouted but not growing that is the problem. One of these days it will warm up. At least that is what I keep telling myself. This is why I don't plant in March in this country. Too cold for things to grow.

Soil that is too porous and dries out quickly to a depth of 1 to 2 inches is not the best for starting seeds. If your little seeds sprout then you get a breeze and they dry out, you lose them. Did you look at my pictorial about planting. Notice the last step is "step" literally, step on them to compact the soil so they won't be prone to drying out.

Give it some time, I think they will come when you get some warmer days.

shaefins

I decided to pre-sprout a few more seeds just in case I lost what was out there. Put them in a wet paper towel in a plastic baggie....and promptly forgot about them. Remembered them at least a week later, if not more. They sprouted...not just roots, a green stem with little leaves and everything. Couldn't get them to do that outside, but inside, in a baggie, in paper towels, the did. Go figure!

I put them outside where I planted the others that never came up. We also threw window panes I'm saving for a cold frame over the entire raised bed. All of the very sprouted peas are doing nicely....AND....the other peas I planted on 3/20 have come up as well, in addition to my direct seeded spinach. Guess it was the cold keeping everything from sprouting outdoors. Thanks, everyone, for the help. And James, I've written a note to remind me to step on my peas next year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the report. I just planted some peas today. It has been to wet and cold to do much planting.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

shaefins LOL due to my own seriously curious nature, when I bought my aslaska pea seeds I just bought a big bag of them for 5 dollars, seemed more reasonable then a smaller one with only 30 seeds or so for about 2 dollars, but anyway, I saw ur post on the wet paper towel and plastic bag so (ive already planted my peas direct seed into the ground yesterday) I've decided to give it a go just to see if mine will do the same, if nothing else, by then I will know if mine are going to sprout or not and I can either plant the sprouts in the ground or eat them LOL either way I think its a win win situation....now on the to next garden experiment! :P

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

shaefins wrote:I decided to pre-sprout a few more seeds just in case I lost what was out there. Put them in a wet paper towel in a plastic baggie....and promptly forgot about them. Remembered them at least a week later, if not more. They sprouted...not just roots, a green stem with little leaves and everything. Couldn't get them to do that outside, but inside, in a baggie, in paper towels, the did. Go figure!

I put them outside where I planted the others that never came up. We also threw window panes I'm saving for a cold frame over the entire raised bed. All of the very sprouted peas are doing nicely....AND....the other peas I planted on 3/20 have come up as well, in addition to my direct seeded spinach. Guess it was the cold keeping everything from sprouting outdoors. Thanks, everyone, for the help. And James, I've written a note to remind me to step on my peas next year.
Shaefins-as I said in my previous post I am curious by nature, well yesterday night I put some pea seeds into wet paper towels and then into a ziploc bag, well curiosity got the better of me tonight, not expecting to find anything quite just yet, but 2 seeds actually sprouted! lol and it's only been 24 hours just about since I put them in there. we'll see how many more sprout, I'll just check it in a few days now as I don't want to injure their new roots growing...but a fun experiment nonetheless lol :)

applestar
Mod

this might be of interest:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147545#147545

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”