annastasia76

onion seeds

I just noticed on another thread that some onions are better for storage than others. I was wondering what varieties are best for long term storage and can I easily get seeds for them, I would love to be able to purchase the bunches/young plants but I can't afford that right now, though I may be too late for seeds too.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yellow Spanish Onions are good to store. They are a long day onion. Can you grow long day onions there, or do you need short day onions? The short day onions do not store as well as long day onions.

Onion seed needs to be planted early. You may be a bit late there. Here at my locale I will plant onion seed in early April. Its early here as its still snowing today. Any variety of onion seed will give you lots of great green onions whether it makes a good storage bulb or not. Do you want me to send you some seed?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There are "Creole" onions, both white & red, that are supposed to be storage onion varieties for short-day areas. The seed may be in your local garden centers and there are a number of online sources.

I only have experience growing short-day Granex onions . . . once. I had lots of onions but they were only golf ball size! . . . at nearly 49° north latitude, I should have expected that :wink: !

Italian varieties would be worth a try. Here is one source:
[url=https://www.italianseedandtool.com]Italian Seed and Tool[/url]

Steve

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A spanish type in the Short-day or Day-neutral varieties.

I'm thinking you are a little late. I would buy sets or plants.

Eric

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

In general "sweet" onions are not long keepers. The harsher eye burning quality from sulphur compounds keeps them from going bad. Ironically, "sweet" onions have less sugar than the long keeping cooking onions.

You may be able to find sets of basic yellow onions locally, which are usually long keepers. The sweet varieties usually go by a name to set them apart. Also, look at the seed packages, they usually will state if something keeps well....but around here they don't say if its a long or short day variety.

TWC015

Sets and transplants are actually quite cheap. I buy transplants in a bundle of 60-80 for about $3. That is around the same price as seeds and they are available locally. Any garden or feed store should have the right type for your area at the time you should plant.

annastasia76

they have the bundles here for about $3 but they don't differentiate on the sku number if it's long or short day varieties, they do have 2 different bins one for long day and one for short day but since they both have the same sku number you can't tell the difference, and they use the same labels on both kinds of onions. that's why I wanted seeds so that I could at least have a chance on knowing what's what, I just can't pay $10+ per bundle, not after I have already spent so much on seeds this year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”