BrianIllinois
Cool Member

Are they goners?

I had tiny radish, lettuce, turnip and arugula sprouts in my raised bed, roughly two weeks old. It snowed about three inches. Low temps around 29.
Are they goners?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I can't speak for the lettuce, turnip, or arugula, but I once received 6" of snow on radishes, and they didn't so much as flinch. They were about 2 weeks old at the time. They can seriously resist cold!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

TWC015

All of them are probably fine. They can tolerate cold well and the snow on them will insulate them.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My guess is they will be fine. The snow won't hurt them.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/- Plant a Garden

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I was part of that same snow storm being in Mo. I am also in the same boat as you with sprouts of this and that. Luckily the ground temps are warm so we should be okay. I am going to check on my lettuce here in a min.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, broccoli seedlings got snowed on last night/ this morning and they are fine. All that stuff is cold hardy.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”