JennieMig
Cool Member

What is this?

I noticed this morning. These are my green beans that were planted from seed February 20th. They started off slow, but have began to improve with increased watering. It's only on several leaves, and other than that they look like they're doing well. Is it a disease, is it a bug? What to treat it?

[img][img]https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n562/JennieMig/IMAG0128.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n562/JennieMig/IMAG0129.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n562/JennieMig/IMAG0127.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n562/JennieMig/IMAG0126.jpg[/img][/img]

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Looks like insect damage to me. Try insecticidal soap, or a solution of liquid soap and water, make sure it is soap not detergent.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I'm not sure about the brown stuff, but the holes were caused by bugs.

JZydowicz

It could be that certain beans just germinate with a crappy first few leaves (like 'Hystyle'). The leaves will have cuts or look weird, but after the first few, they're fine. The brown, dead, dry spot is probably a hypersensitive response to a pathogen (and it usually means your variety is resistant).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersensitive_response

I don't think there's much to worry about.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would think the holes were caused by bugs or slugs.

The brownish area might be sunburn. Sometimes, especially if you water and water is on the leaves and then it gets hit by direct sun, the water acts like a magnifying glass and burns that spot on the leaf.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I had something very much like this last year on my violetto pole beans. It started out as a white or gray irregular-shaped splotch on a leaf, like someone had just splashed some milk on it, and eventually turned brown. I tried to find an online photo matching what I had, but the closest I could find were Halo Blight and Common Bacterial Blight.

It occurred during a cold, wet spell that lasted about a month. Once the weather warmed up and the rains quit, the plants recovered. The disease stopped spreading on the leaves that already had it, and no new leaves were affected.

Because of the weather at the time, I decided it was Halo Blight, but I never knew for certain :cry:

I won't say I didn't have any bugs, but I will say I didn't have many. The only bug I can remember having in any large numbers last year was a long, slender black-and-red one I never identified. It wasn't shiny like a squash bug, and it was only about 1/4" long. Then again, these bugs showed up after the plants healed themselves.

I'm pretty certain it was a disease.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The first thing that came to my mind was slugs. Have you ever seen any bugs on them before? If you are not seeing any bugs, it may very well be slugs since they do most of their damage at night. Go out sometime after dark with a flashlight and see if you find any. Hand-picking is a good way to get rid of them.

HydroCura

I have that too (first and third image). I get it only on my beans. So I guess it's a bug or caterpillar that only eat bean leaves. But I don't know about that brown thing. I just don't do anything. They don't damage the fruits. Only the leaves.
Or you can buy some ladybugs or Green Lacewings. They eat other insects. And plant some plants that attract birds. Birds eat them too. But if you use pesticide and the birds eat the insects, you kill the birds :?
So don't use pesticide! Plant some native plants to attract birds and other good insects to eat the bad ones.

JennieMig
Cool Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I havent seen any new damage, but when I was inspecting the leaves I found a bunch of what I think are adult winged aphids. The were mostly hanging out on my tomato plants. I'm heading outside in a few with a flashlight and make sure there are no slugs. I am going to mix up some soap and water and spray it on tomorrow.

Hydro, I cant get birds anywhere near my garden. There is a huge yellow hawk that sits on top of my tomato stakes all day long. I even took out my bird bath because I felt bad, like I was setting up a birdie buffet for the hawk.

HydroCura

Ow. Then just buy some Ladybugs or Green Lacewings. They eat the aphids. :lol:

JennieMig
Cool Member

This is the bug I was talking about.

[img][img]https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n562/JennieMig/DSCF1855.jpg[/img][/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

To me it looks more like maybe Bean Beetle damage. Slugs and snails leave a slim trail.

Could you have accidently spilled fertilizer on the browned leaf?

Eric

JennieMig
Cool Member

I am going to keep an eye on them. There is a mom and pop garden supply around the corner that usually has ladybugs. I'll stop in and see if they have them.

Eric I havent fetilized, so that's not the brown spot. There arent any new ones so I'm stumped.

They have started growing faster since I've been watering them more. I guess their just thirstier than the other plants.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This is the second time I've seen posting out of order. :?

If that is your insect, it is not a aphid, bean beetle, slug, snail or flee beetle. I don't think Ladybugs will help.

Look up Bean Fly. What do you think?

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”