Avonnow
Green Thumb

School Project question about seeds

Hey I volunteered to bring in my dome with seedlings after spring break for my daughters Kindergarden class. I have 10 days to get something growing. (next week is Spring Break) What seed would be the quickest? squash, beans, broccoli - I am in Florida and it is in the 80's so I plan to put it outside. I have just about every seeds on the planet. I just want to make sure there is enough of the plant showing when I return on April 5th. They are studying plants and seeds that week. Thanks for suggestions. :D

ameliat

I vote for beans - sounds like a fun project, let us know how it goes

annastasia76

in my experience sunflowers have always come up the quickest, radishes after that, zucchini is fairly quick also. but I would wait for some of the experts to chime in.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Here's a suggestion. Why not plant a few different varieties of seeds like mentioned----sunflower, radish, bean, cucumber------that way you can demonstrate how different seeds germinate at different rates. Even is the seedling hasn't broken ground, you can dig out the seed to show the class how far it has come along when compared to the others.

Just a thought. I get them now and again.

soil
Greener Thumb

id go for sunflowers, beans and peas. soak the beans and peas overnight before planting.

applestar
Mod

If you are going to do comparison seedlings, you GOTTA grow corn too! they come up as single tubular rolled up leaf -- COMPLETELY different from broad-leafed plants.

Soak and plant like others.
Last edited by applestar on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You could even use the pre-sprouting method Jal uses for his peas to show them a cup full of peas that have the tiny root coming out.

You can find his posts with a forum search.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Thanks what a bunch of great ideas, I may do the peas separate and do a variety in the box, I do have sunflowers and never even thought of them as a option. My husband said radishes, but truth be told, I have never been able to plant a radish that came to be a radish - I am possibly the only gardener who can't grow a radish, but I do believe, sunflowers beans and maybe a row of squash and then peas spouted outside. I will have to see how Jal does it. The teacher will love it.
:D :D :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”