speedster7926

pests but friendly

I'm having a problem I have 2 rat terrier/jack russel and they are jumping into my raised garden and pooping all in it what can I do to keep them out its in the back yard so I can't keep them out of the yard what can I do?

applestar
Mod

Are they your dogs? Maybe you can train them to go somewhere else in the yard :?:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

or there is a stuff called "critter ridder" sold at lowes. I have used it to keep squirrels and cats out of my garden with success. It is a blend of pepper oils and other spicy ingredients that kinda burns their paws in the same way it burns our mouth. It's not harmful to the dog per se, just an annoyance to their paws. It won't take long for them to learn to stay away from the beds.

Whatever you do I'd do it with a quickness before they destroy the garden. The poop and compaction is no good for the plants.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

IMO, the quickest solution would be a fence, but it would probably have to be about 3 or 4 ft high to really be effective. It doesn't have to be especially strong, so a plastic mesh would be fine. It does have to be something they can see, however. Except for the sighthounds (Afghans, borzoi, greyhounds, etc.), dogs are quite nearsighted.

My dogs will jump any obstacle less than 3 ft high, just as part of the fun of racing around the yard. If it's 3 ft or higher, though, they go around the obstacle.

speedster7926

thankyou I did get a cheap mesh fenceing and attached it to the 2x2's I have at each corner and tacked them down so all I have to do is unhook and move it when I wana work in there and the training is kinda hard they are stuborn puppies who go where ever we say not to lol and its the only yard they run free in cause its fenced in :( and the "springs" in their feet are crazy lol they can, standing flat footed, clear a 4 ft chain linked fence thankfully they have not figured out to jump over yet lol

tedly
Cool Member

Invisible fence around the garden area maybe?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

speedster7926 wrote:thankyou I did get a cheap mesh fenceing and attached it to the 2x2's I have at each corner and tacked them down so all I have to do is unhook and move it when I wana work in there and the training is kinda hard they are stuborn puppies who go where ever we say not to lol and its the only yard they run free in cause its fenced in :( and the "springs" in their feet are crazy lol they can, standing flat footed, clear a 4 ft chain linked fence thankfully they have not figured out to jump over yet lol
I know that behavior ... :lol:

My little dog, Daisy, jumps up into my old apple tree and wanders around the limbs looking for squirrels, and my Lab mix, Angus, will jump straight up from a standing position and bang his head on the ceiling. (My ceilings are standard height. :roll: )

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”