JennieMig
Cool Member

soaker hoses or drip irrigation???

I have 4 raised planter boxes and I was using sprinklers to irrigate. I have realized that they are a huge waist of water, so I have gone to hand watering for now. I want to either put in a drip irrigation, or soaker hoses. The drip system will be more expensive and time consuming, and less flexible to switch up for a different planting configuration from season to season. But, I have heard a few stories about soaker hoses being a pain too. I hope to double the number of boxes that I have, so I want to be able to add to when needed. I also would like to be able to use water from a rain barrel.

Let me know what you guys are using. Where you got your ideas? Any homemade drip systems?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Let me know what you guys are using. Where you got your ideas? Any homemade drip systems?
Hey Jennie, me again. :)

This business has lots of good information and product. We have used them for years.
https://www.dripworksusa.com/tutorial.php?lnk=left

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JennieMig
Cool Member

that link didnt work :? could you re-post?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, I've been seeing a lot of goofy stuff lately on Helpful Gardener. :?

Double posting, etc...

Eric

JennieMig
Cool Member

Thanks Eric, great link. I especially like the how-to videos. I figured that I can get all 4 beds hooked up with drip lines for under $200. And, there's room to grow.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A little more information.

A 1/2" mainline can handle 420 gallons per hour, that equates to (840) 1/2 gph emitters.

We like to use https://www.dripworksusa.com/store/soakdrp.php for our drip tubbing.

If you are in are interested I can link the timer, regulator, filter and fittings we like to use.

Eric

JennieMig
Cool Member

Hey Eric thanks for that link. I did some research and planning this week and ordered everything today for my drip irrigation. All together just over 120 bucks, including shipping. Not to shabby :wink:

annastasia76

what size/rate dippers do you use?? we have all ours on 1 gallon but I'm thinking of switching to 1/2 or even 1/4 gallon dippers that way I can leave the water on for longer amounts of time and have it drip even more slowly. which I hope will help the plants in mid summer when it hits over 100 degrees

JennieMig
Cool Member

Hey Annastasia. I am using 1/4 inch soaker drip line with the emitters spaced at 6 inches. It lists the rate at 1/2 gallon per hour with 15 PSI. The pressure regulator that I ordered (recommended by them) was a 30 PSI. So I'm guessing that I will get 1 gallon per hour? I don't know, I'm going to have to see how it goes.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I have been using 1/2 inch main line with 2 gph drippers for several years now. It works great on my 3'x20' beds. I usually run the water for about 8 hrs at a time two times a week depending on rainfall. I'll be adding two more beds to the system this year. I'm not sure how it would work with a gravity system based on a barrel though. You might need larger drippers to let more water through with less pressure.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”