Dixana
Greener Thumb

Could I get away with this......?

Soooooo......in the interest of space I came up with this idea....just not sure if it would work.
I was thinking that there's this big grassy area behind the fenced garden just wasting space. Would it be possible to dig holes right in the grass. add some compost and/or manure the loose dirt and make my hills for the watermelon, pumpkins, and cantelope?? I could lay plastic, or newspaper, or cardboard on the grass after for the vines to spread out on so I don't have to mow...

Any thoughts on this? Could I get away with it you think?
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, if you want to do that the easy way, lay down newspaper 4-5 layers, then mulch about six inches deep. You will want to make an area about 3 feet wide for each hill. Now separate the mulch in the center, punch a few holes in the newspaper with a screwdriver, and put 5 seeds on the newspaper then cover them with 3 inches of soil. Just a shovelful of soil. Pull the mulch back over the soil, but not too deep where the seeds are. Water well. The newspaper and mulch will smother the weeds and the squash will do well. Once it gets going the other grass can grow but it won't affect the squash.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:D Awesome Jal, thanks! I love finding easier ways to do stuff!
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I was thinking that too. Why couldn't I just stick plants all over the yard?
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

applestar
Mod

if you can find my posts about the yellow crookneck squash, as well as Bushel gourd and Atlantic Giant pumpkin (though that was devastated by SVB) last year, you'll see that I grew them basically as described by jal.

I never dig anymore, but simply sheet mulch. I got them an early start by planting the seeds in bottomless black nursery pots that were later mounded over with soil and mulch.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”