Dixana
Greener Thumb

Anyone like to share their veg garden layout?

I'm getting greedy again and am trying very hard to rein myself in.
I want to grow it all!!!
SO I was hoping some of you might be willing to share your garden "map"? How big is your space and what are you planting and where?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Sure - here goes... I have about 20 square meters (215 some odd square feet) with quite high walls on two sides of the planting space, my house on the third, and access to my cement washing areas and kitchen door on the fourth. The squash plant represented in the diagram climbs the wall and is sending stems out along a washline strung for the purpose, which crosses the garden diagonally. I expect it to hit the roof of my washhouse in another couple of weeks. (!)

The boxes within boxes (corn/zucchs/peppers/garlic/beans and chard/daikon/etc/lettuce/herbs/flowers) are tiered beds bordered in brick.

What isn't represented here are the tomatoes in big, wheeled pots (which are an experiment for this cycle) - these live in front of my kitchen windows on the cement area. I may transition to doing all of my tomatoes this way, since the potted ones are throwing more fruit than the in-grounds are, and I can keep them in the sun longer.

In plan:
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/GardenLayout.jpg[/img]

In practice:
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/DSCN4828.jpg[/img]

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I love the kitty sleeping in the garden SO CUTE!

lorax
Greener Thumb

She's not sleeping. She's doing her level best to smoosh my dill seedlings! They seem to have recovered, though.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:lol: But she's still so cute.

annastasia76

I was going to say that it looks like she's rolling in it, I think all cats love rolling in dirt. she's a cutie.

my garden is currently a mish mash of things everywhere, where ever I can put it. I've made crude drawings in the interest of taking note of where things are for the purpose of crop rotation but I don't have square footage or anything, I've never measured it.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

There's a good chance my garden will be that way again this year. Neat little rows just aren't my thing, they seem to take up too much space. I'm actually thinking of putting my tomatoes and cucumbers all around the outer edge so I can cheat and use the fence to tie them up instead of using cages... I'll have more of a maze than a garden but that's ok :)

tedly
Cool Member

If I can figure out how to map it out in Paint, I'll put mine up here. :?

Edit: Lets see if this works. It's not really to scale and the layout isn't finalized, but this is basically it.
[img]https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/tedlyb/garden11-1.jpg[/img]

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I have 5, 3'x20' beds with walkways in between them. One bed towards the end that is 3'x12' perpendicular to the others. One bed that is about 6'x8' out in front of the house and a mound of dirt about 5' diameter that got pressed into use growing patty pan squash last year! I really need to dig an asparagus bed soon too. I rotate crops every year from bed to bed and had good success with organic gardening last year, the first year. It really is amazing how much I can grow in that space. I generally plant across the short way with rows of seeded crops with the rows about 6 to 8" apart. Maters and peppers get more room and this year I'll be planting in the V shapes between the cages.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”