orgoveg
Green Thumb

Looking for a new green bean

My family likes a really good snap bean and the tastiest that I have grown was a greencrop variety. Last year I tried triomphe de farcy because they are heirlooms. They were stringy and just didn't have the flavor that I like. I think the best beans snap nicely and don't have strings. The problem with the greencrops is that I believe they are hybrid. I only like to grow open-pollinated stuff, so I can save the seeds.

So, I'm wondering what are your favorite open-pollinated snap beans?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I like the Jade Bush beans. Never stringy.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

This is the information on Jade beans from NC State's horticulture website. When I see all the cross-breeding under parentage, it looks like a hybrid. Do you know if it is?

"Jade (GB45-1-3-1) - Breeder and vendor: Novartis Seeds, Inc. Parentage: I 213 / OSU 4094-1-1 /3/ Galaslim / Early Gallatin // H318-2-1 /4/ I213 / ODU 4094-1-1 // H267 / Galaslim. Characteristics: fresh market, large upright bush, 16-18 cm round green pods. Resistance: BCMV races 1 and NY15, curly top virus, tolerant to some strains of rust. PVP 9200052."

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I just picked up a packet of Roma II. A bush form of pole Romano. They are open-pollinated.

Package says "excellent for freezing". The 4"-5" pods look wide and flatter in the photo.

Anybody know about these?

lorax
Greener Thumb

I've found that 'Rattlesnake' pole beans are absolutely excellent snappers - great flavour, very long pods, and they freeze well too!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Roma II is my favorite flat bush bean. Very flavorful and always tender, never stringy except if the plant is stressed or the beans are left on the plant too long. I also like Blue Lake and Early Contender for reliable harvest of tender near stringless beans.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jade, open pollinated
Roma II, open pollinated
Rattlesnake, heirloom open pollinated.

I will threw in a runner bean, "Scarlet Emperor" a richer more flavored bean. You also want to pick these in 6" size, for best bean. These are attractive enough for a ornamental garden. :wink:

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My supplier lists Jade as open pollinated. In fact of the 12 beans on his list, they are all open pollinated. Since beans are pretty much self fertile, I think it may be a project to make hybrids.

Bees will work lima beans and if you planted two varieties together, you would no doubt get some hybrids, but I can't see how you would separate the hybrids. ????? Sorry, this was not about limas...... :oops:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yep! True with Territorial Seed, looks like all their beans are OP. They have about 35 varieties.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

" Beans and peas are not commercially hybridized because they are automatic pollinators, and hand-pollination is prohibitively expensive."

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Oh, so I guess I didn't even have to worry about it. I'll have to try a couple of the suggested varieties. There are so many of them out there.

Thanks.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I like Blue Lake Bush Beans they have NO strings. Even if you pick beans late they still do not have strings. They have the best flavor of all the beans I have tried. I can about 65 pints of beans every summer.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I guess I should mention that I will definitely be growing dragon tongue again. They are a very unique color and they cook up almost white. Big and flat, good for snap, shell, or dry beans. My kids love them and that is high praise :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”