JLaw
Newly Registered

Container vegetable questions

Hello all, I have been growing simple vegetables in containers for a few years now. I've been trying to find out if I'm using too small containters of if I'm doing okay.

I normally just plant everything I grow in 16" containers. Lately I've been seeing people planting everything from tomato to bush bean and even baby carrots in 12" pots.

One neighbor down the street had 4 bush bean plants growing in one 12" pot. It's his first year growing and I don't have enough experience to know better, but is this okay to plant so many plants in the same pot?

JLaw

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A 12" container should hold about 3 gallons of potting mix, or a bit more. The Extension Service chart in [url=https://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/vegetable/container.html]this article[/url] indicates that a 2-gallon container can hold 2 to 3 bush bean plants. I think 4 plants should do okay in the 12" container. Personally, though, I would probably use a 4-gallon container for 4 bush bean plants, just to hedge my bets a bit. ;)

A full-sized tomato plant will grow fine in a 5-gallon bucket, but I use containers that are about 20" in diameter. Tomatoes have large root systems, and a little extra space won't hurt them. Tomato plants are also very thirsty, so a little extra soil around the roots can allow for slightly less frequent watering.

The Extension Service offers [url=https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1647.html]this article[/url] that has a chart showing the amount of soil different sized containers will hold.

HTH! And a warm welcome to you! I hope you enjoy the forum! :)

JLaw
Newly Registered

Wow, those are EXCELLENT articles! Thanks so much for posting, I'm off to do some reading.

Thanks again!

JLaw

fishntime

Those are great articles. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”