DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Of course, I will be putting more timbers on top of these, and staggering them. I have some 8" spikes to anchor the bottom timbers and some 6" TimberLok screws to hold the top layer to the bottom.
Staggering the layers and Timberlok screws is a excellent way to go. I've used Timberloks for many projects. Your raised beds will be well built and very strong.

Eric

bg
Cool Member

The timberlock screws are some of the best I've seen. We've used some for hanging flat screen tvs to the wall (wall mounts), as well as new additions to homes.

I just finished screwing my timbers together, so now I can focus more on trying to dig the dirt and putting up the fencing. I got most of the rocks out of the garden area, there were way more than I figured I would find, including some broken concrete, rusted nails, plastic fencing... all under the 3+ inches of grass I removed, and then digging down in.

[url=https://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l580/aoiyuurei/garden/?action=view&current=timbers.jpg][img]https://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l580/aoiyuurei/garden/th_timbers.jpg[/img][/url]

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I don't use a rototiller when I begin a garden, but I do use a spade. (There's no way I would get a spading fork in my soil on a first-time dig.) I shake as much dirt off the grass chunks as possible, and I stack them for use on the compost bin. Then, like many of the others, I double dig what is left.

I would take a large plot like that in stages, preparing a 5'x5' section at a time. That way, you could have a small garden ready in less than a week and another in another week. You could spend the whole summer, working one section while growing goodies in another.

Once you get a small plot dug, you can call your local extension service to find out what kind of soil you have. We have alkaline soil up here in Wyoming. When I first started gardening here, I called the County Extension Agent and asked about amendments for my soil. She told me to avoid manure at all costs because of our alkalinity.

Before planting, I like to work in peat moss on new gardens. It really conditions the soil, and working it in gives me an excellent soil texture. Then I work in about 4" to 6" compost. By the time I've dug, worked in peat moss, and worked in compost, most of the larger rocks have been removed.

What fun lies ahead for you. I would kill for a nice, sunny 15'x15' patch of virgin soil!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”