Odd Duck

jal_ut wrote: Take a few minutes to look at this [url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html]Study from the University of Nebraska[/url]
Awesome link, jal_ut! Just lost myself for about 30 minutes (I'm such a nerd!).

jlock274

Here's more update pictures... :)

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Nice! I'll be looking forward to more pics as the season progresses!!

jlock274

Here is what I did today March 27th 2011.

jlock274

I have been doing a lot of work in the garden this week...

SPierce
Greener Thumb

wow, looking lovely!!

The Mad Hatter

Very nice. I wish I had gotten my raised beds in this year. Maybe next year. With my son graduating this year and beginning his adventure of becoming a Marine we have been pretty busy. Plus the crappie are starting to bite to hehe. Very nice beds so far. Can't wait to see em all filled up.

T.M.H.

donworden
Cool Member

I am just so jealous..... (hanging head in shame)... Those are some great looking gardens. I only wish I had enough energy and stamina to do that kind of work in my yard.

Spicy Chicken

Very, very nice ace!
Hard work, dedication, creativity, and perseverance.
The midsummer morning walk throughs will be great!
Cheers.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I am curious about the size and depth of the beds. Also, what kind of wood did you use? It really looks great!

We put in 5 raised beds this year (3- 3x8x19" deep and 2 4x8x12" deep). We initially planned the deeper beds for ease on my aging back but had more soil than needed so made two more. I also use containers for many of my plants including tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. My garden area is only 25x30' so every inch counts.

jlock274

The beds are not very big. Used 4ft 4X4 landscape timbers 2 deep and dug down to get extra depth... Made 16 - 4X4 and 4 - 4X8. I'm planning on putting any vine plants in the back of the 4X8 beds to let the vines hang over the back and meander. Planted a lot of hot and sweet peppers. I'm going to get a lot of exercise this year...

Canoe

Nice looking area, seems to have come a long way. I think you have done real good job. :clap: It gives me a few ideas as well. Thanks

Canoe

BP

jal_ut wrote:We are about the same North latitude and it seems about the same frost dates. I like to get started planting the early crops April 1 or as soon thereafter as the ground is dry enough. You won't need all of your beds ready by then, but if you get some ready you can get started with the early crops any time now.

I don't know that its even necessary to dig the beds before putting in your soil. Plant roots have an amazing ability to penetrate soil. Most plants will send roots 3 feet deep and many will go as deep as 8 feet. No one ever tills or digs that deep, yet the roots can go there.

Take a few minutes to look at this [url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html]Study from the University of Nebraska[/url]
Thankyou for posting this link. I have saved one to my favorites the one you posted by Cornell University a few weeks ago.

jlock274

Here is a video of the creation of my garden.

[url]https://youtu.be/-AE2KqktUTc[/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”