Jonathan1977
Newly Registered

Carrots - not planting them in newly composted soil?

Hi!

I am new to vegetable gardening in general. I am about to start growing carrots (first time!) and one of the things I read was "do not plant carrots in soil that has been newly composted. This may cause deformed roots, etc." Recommendation was to mix compost with the soil 3-4 weeks before planting.

As I am growing carrots in a clay pot, I am mixing potting soil with organic material (Sea Soil -> https://www.seasoil.com/original-sea-soil.html)

Sea Soil says "2 year composted material." Does this mean it is not considered "newly composted"?

Could I mix the potting soil and this organic material, and then plant the carrot seeds right away? Or is it always a good practice to mix your soil and organic material and wait a few weeks before planting?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

JT

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think this must be a cautionary note *in case* someone is using compost that isn't fully "finished": not all the ingredients are completely composted.

I planted carrots in my first Square Foot Garden in Spring 2008, and I had just "built" the planting medium as well. The carrots liked it just fine, as did everything else. :)

Happy gardening! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Jonathan1977
Newly Registered

Ah that makes sense. thanks!!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”