Carmen

Why do you have to harden off plants from a store?

Last year was my first year growing veggies and it was sorta successful..I got lots of great peppers and 2 carrots:) My in laws, who are experienced gardeners, had told me to harden off the pepper plants I bought from lowes. Which I did and all went well. But now I wonder, since they've been sitting outside in full sun at Lowes..what does hardening them off do?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Nothing in my opinion. If they are outside at Lowe's, they are hardened off already. You still might think about a little wind protection at first.

Eric

Imperialboy

Agree with DD

Dani2

Hardening the plants off gets them accustomed to the microclimate where they will be actually growing. They were probably in a sheltered environment at the store and letting them get used to their new environment will give them a chance to develop sturdier stems and roots.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There is no reason to harden off plants from Lowe's, nursery's etc. They have already been hardened off unless they are being kept in an inside room with artificial light on them which I highly doubt.

DDF I'm not too sure they would need wind protection that much but not a bad idea for a just in case situation. The veggie plants at my local shops are all outside in the elements with rain wind sun and all. The only thing that may differ is they won't get car pollution in my garden. :lol:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I agree in general, but when buying plants I always try to find a selection that is growing in full sun and which also gets full exposure to the air movement. A plant on a lower tray may get mostly shade, or one backed up to a wall may have lots of shade and little air movement. If that is the case then whether bought at Lowes or where ever it may need to be hardened off prior to going into full sun.

applestar
Mod

Sometimes, you might not realize that you are walking through an overhead lathe or canvas canopy covered area, since your eyes are on the plants as you move down the aisles.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

In my store the plants are out front on the sidewalk about as open as it gets, just saying.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes, you might not realize that you are walking through an overhead lathe or canvas canopy covered area, since your eyes are on the plants as you move down the aisles.
Especially when you are only 5'4" :P

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”