gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Insulated underwear and gardening????????????

Doesn't seem right but it can be.

I am planting onions, carrots, Brussels sprouts, spinach etc today. I finally have a weekend where it is isn't raining or snowing. It is a bit wet but time is ticking away so I have to try something. It was 32 this morning so I had to put on extra clothes just to plant. That's alright though in a few month's I will be sweating my butt off out there, give and take right? :lol:

alaskagold

welcome to arctic planting!
:)

applestar
Mod

Thanks for the imagery, gixx. :roll:

So, Brussels sprouts -- are you sowing seeds directly in the garden now? How did this work for you before? Maybe I'll try it too.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific you are funny.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

AS the Brussels are starters I has growing. same with everything else except for the onion plants which I ordered.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Re: Insulated underwear and gardening????????????

gixxerific wrote:Doesn't seem right but it can be.

I am planting onions, carrots, Brussels sprouts, spinach etc today. I finally have a weekend where it is isn't raining or snowing. It is a bit wet but time is ticking away so I have to try something. It was 32 this morning so I had to put on extra clothes just to plant. That's alright though in a few month's I will be sweating my butt off out there, give and take right? :lol:

gixx,

I hope your efforts and sacrifices are worth it! I don't care about the temps but I'll never again work my dirt when it is wet. I did last year, simply because the ground refused to dry out before the next round of showers would hit, but it hurt it, at least the area that had some clay in it. It stayed in concrete-hard clumps all year.

The good thing is the freeze/thaw cycles have melted them all. I'll sit and drink beer before going into a wet garden with a tiller again!

Mike

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'll sit and drink beer before going into a wet garden with a tiller again!

I like the way you think. 8)

Eric

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Ah, ha! Just looked at the 7-day forecast. Except for a slim chance of rain on Tuesday, this may be the week I get to start on my ground. Wednesday is supposed to be partly cloudy with a high of 58, Thursday sunny and 65.

I need to get at least six rows (~1800 linear feet) done as I would like to start my peas, chard and onions in about about three weeks and my early toms and lettuce (interplanted) in five weeks. I figure it will take at least three separate tillings, with at least one being a double pass, to get it ready to plant.

Mike

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted chard, spinach, lettuce seed in the ground last weekend. Today I will plant some peas and carrots and perhaps put my broccoli plants and other stuff that's been out hardening off in the ground.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

wordwiz I didn't use a tiller so no worry's about the clumps. My soil is in pretty good shape nice and fluffy for the most part. A whole lot better than when I started this garden here. I was more worried about the compaction I would do by walking on it, which was quite a bit in spots. But I will be working my out from the back and loosening it with a fork as I go.

They were talking about big storms for this Mon (today) during last week than they took them out, well someone got there wires crossed cause right after I got done in the garden wife tells me she just heard an inch or two of rain for today. Well guess what I woke up to about 3 inches of wet snow which grew to about 5 inches but is melting fast. God bless St Louis weather. :P

Oh well I got some things planted I wanted too not everything, I was going to do some more tonight but that aint happening now. :shock: :x

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I just want you to be aware YOU'RE KILLING ME!!! I have yet to see over 45 degress. There is still 3 feet of snow in my backyard. AND last tuesday we got 8 inches of snow in typical blizzard fashion.
So all you people and your spring weather suck :(
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”