GardenRN
Greener Thumb

cherokee purple tomatoes

Does anyone else have issues growing cherokee purples tomatoes? This will be the third year I have tried them, but I have yet to get any fruit. Actually I have yet to have a plant get over 2ft tall. They seem SO finicky! to little or too much water, goodbye. Not hardened off with extra care, goodbye. The wind blows the wrong direction, goodbye! Maybe they require something extra I'm not providing, I don't know, but it is quickly becoming my "Elanore" (if you've seen Gone in 60 Seconds you know what I mean).

Any pointers would be gleefully experimented with. Come hell or high water, I will have some purple tomatoes this year, oh yes, I WILL have purple tomatoes! :roll:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

they never produce much, but I've never had any problem getting SOMEthing from each plant. of course, I'm in the area where they originated, so they may just be slightly more tailored to the climate/conditions here.

I realize this doesn't really help you much...is there perhaps a purple heirloom tomato that's native to your area? one risk with growing many heirlooms is that they have been selected to do well under certain circumstances, which may or may not exist in other locales.

soil
Greener Thumb

ours grow relatively easy, even had one that was under a dripping hose spigot and it had dozens and dozens of softball sized fruits. didnt do anything to it really except harvest.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think the clue is the phrase "harden off." You're starting these plants and then transplanting them?

Root veggies don't like being transplanted; they do much better being direct-seeded/planted. Follow the instructions that came with your seed potatoes and put them into the growing "patch." (Directions were probably something like "cut the seed potatoes into sections with two eyes each; let dry/callus over; place into soil X distance apart; cover 2/3 of plant with soil as it emerges...")

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

ETA: Duh, thought we were talking about POTATOES, not TOMATOES. :oops:
Last edited by cynthia_h on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I've got two gorgeous, leafy plants of Cherokee Purple at the moment, one of which has about a dozen fruits on, and the other of which is just starting its first blooming cycle. It's my first time with them, so I have no idea what to expect other than that the fruits be purple when mature, with green hips.

The only issue I'm seeing is that they drop their first sets of flowers, and they're prone to whitefly.

A good-tasting, hopefully purple, sandwich tomato that will grow in my area (extreme altitude sorta tropical desert) is also my Eleanor. I'll let you know how these do for me.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

hmmm wonder what I'm doing wrong. I generally have a pretty green thumb when it comes to tomatoes, guess it was just luck of the draw. I am trying some OSU also this year thanks to Ozark Lady, so I should have one kind of purple or another.

Cynthia...I think you mis-read. It was tomatoes, not potatoes lol. :lol:
I wouldn't bother trying to transplant potatoes. But solid advice nonetheless.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I tried them and the plants were small compaired to my other tomatoe plants and the plants only made a few tomatoes. The tomatoes had a flavor I did not like. 3 strikes and your out. Small plants, few tomatoes, bad taste.

I love Beefstake plants grow good, plants get large, plants produce LOTS of LARGE tomatoes and flavor is EXCELLENT. I plant 30 plants every year and I can 100 pints and 10 to 20 quarts in mason jars every summer. Beefstake is great in a salad, BLT, on a sandwich, salsa, and the best tacos I ever had. This year I am making home made catsup.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You could also try other varieties of purple tomatoes.

I've found that chocolate cherry produce abundantly, even though they are an OP. These were the most prolific of all the tomatoes last year for me.

csvd87

I just sowed some cherokee purple seeds last night, hope they do well, Toms seem to do well in our area, but this is my first attempt :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”