bwhite829

spaghetti squash

I'm going to grow spaghetti squash here in nw florida this year. should I look for a certain variety, or is it pretty straightforward? is there anything else I should know about it?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've grown it a couple of times. Just bought seeds called 'spaghetti squash'. They take a long season to produced fruit, so vine borers, squash bugs, and powdery mildew can be a problem.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would plant them in hills like 4 to a hill. Give them plenty of space or they will cover ou other crops. One year I had my picture in the local paper with spegetti squash hanging from our peach tree! The will get pretty nice size with 4 to 6 per plant depending on the soil! Wait till they get a white yellow color and not pick them too soon! They are great with butter and garlic power even in a microwave! Buy one in the grocery store and dry the seeds . You will get 50 to 100 seeds out of squash!

bwhite829

Bobberman wrote:I would plant them in hills like 4 to a hill. Give them plenty of space or they will cover ou other crops. One year I had my picture in the local paper with spegetti squash hanging from our peach tree! The will get pretty nice size with 4 to 6 per plant depending on the soil! Wait till they get a white yellow color and not pick them too soon! They are great with butter and garlic power even in a microwave! Buy one in the grocery store and dry the seeds . You will get 50 to 100 seeds out of squash!
will the ones out of a store definately sprout? I use them as a substitute for pastas. I'm trying to go more paleo in my eating habits, and there's nothing comparable to knowing you gathered your own food, especially when you use homemade spaghetti sauce from your herb and tomato garden......(at least thats what I've heard, hopefully this year I'll try it!)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I tried theb store bought seeds from the squash many times and they grew great. You only have to dry them for a few days under a fan to do it fast! I washed mine off with warm water and dryed them!. I still buy a odd looking squash or pumpkin and plant the seeds! There are some odd looking pumpkins that the seeds in packages cost 20 times what one pumpkin will cost so buy the pumpkin and get the seeds out!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Spaghetti squash is delicious when paired with garlic butter. I've had it with spaghetti sauce also and must say that it tastes strikingly like spaghetti!

I'm glad I say your post because I just remembered that I wanted to give a try growing some this year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”