Avonnow
Green Thumb

Question on Large Butternut Squash plant.

I planted in the fall a Argonaut Squash, kinda like Butternut but bigger, well it never produced in the fall it takes like 120 days. It got cold and I covered it etc. Well it never died and it is HUGE. Very green and growing like crazy - my question should I just rip it out, it seems it is getting male flowers but no female flowers now, will it start again getting both, I see flowers there but they are just buds. I am not sure I am wasting time. It was growing up a trellis and now has sprawled on the ground, should I clip it or any suggestions. It is pretty healthy - just nothing happening yet. Thanks :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It is not unusual for squash to put out many male blossoms before getting around to putting out some female blossoms. It will likely make some squash for you if the bugs don't get it. I would hesitate to prune it though, you may just cut off the vine where the female blossoms would form. Its ok to grow it on the ground if you have room to let it sprawl. Good luck!

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I guess I meant to say it is getting more female then male flowers, alot of small fruit with flowers, no male, will it produce more of those as well?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmmm, I hope so. Usually there is some of both types of flowers.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Yeah there are some small flower buds but they haven't gotten to the point of opening, whereas the female fruit and flowers are. I will give it about 2-3 more weeks it is getting really warm and alot of sun, if they don't transpire I will just yank the whole plant. I hate doing that as I am not knowlegable enough to know if it is the right thing to do, but hate to waste space as I have so little.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'd let it grow. Since it grows very large fruit, it probably needs all of that mass and leaf area in order to have the energy to produce.

If you are concerned about the male to female ratio, you can always hand-pollinate.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”