Garf
Green Thumb

Radish Bolting

This is what happens when you leave a radish a little too long.
[img]https://www.mastercontrollinelinksite.info/Gardening/radish.jpg[/img]

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I always let a few of my radish go to seed and flower for the extra butterflies! You can eat the pods in salads when they are just forming! I get pink and white flowers! Buy the later radish if you don't want them to bolt too fast! Heat will make them bolt early or dry soil! One of my favorite crops radish!

soil
Greener Thumb

there's next years radish seed!

HangOn

I agree with Bobberman, heat (summer) & lack of water. The little red ones need to grow & be harvested quick, I find autumn and spring a good time here.

Garf
Green Thumb

[quote="soil"]there's next years radish seed![/quote]The birds are stripping the flowers as quick as they are setting seed. Time to go hunting again.

soil
Greener Thumb

ive never had that problem, you must have some crazy birds. our birds eat the bugs off the plants.

starwood

There are edible seed pod radishes. I bought some seeds last year. I can't remember from where. They were advertised as being very sweet. I was eager to try them in my fall garden. But alas the goats got into the garden and ate everything.

Garf
Green Thumb

Time for a BBQ.

starwood

It was about as bad as the time last year when one of the babies climbed on the car and broke out the rear window.

Yes we question why we have goats.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I planted radishes early last spring, but an early streak of warm weather caused them to bolt.

I had quite a few plants with flowers all over them like that. I always mean to let one grow to save seed from, but I usually just pull them and plant something in their place.

starwood

I found it! In last year's Bountiful Gardens catalogue:

"Description: (1885<) Munchen Bier. A unique variety that produces masses of tender juicy stringless slightly SWEET 2-3â€

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”