jlock274

:)
Last edited by jlock274 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

John,

I removed my posting. Good luck on your project.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sure, post more pictures... you are doing great!

I took down a tree last season to get more sun for my raised beds too. Not as tall or nice a tree (mine was tree of heaven, an alien invasive, so a good thing to get rid of anyway). But I may this season take down a few more, since my property has lots of trees and not lots of space to grow veggies.

Some of us gardeners get kind of obsessive, but all in good spirit and trying to be helpful and informative. What works is what works for you. Everyone has to figure out the kind of gardening that works in their garden, not only with their climate, soil, etc, but with how much time they can put in, how much they can spend, what their physical condition is like, etc.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

By all means keep posting!

Don't take us the wrong way. Ha, like RBG just said, sometimes we can get a little too helpful :lol:.

We're not trying to criticize you work at all, more like thinking out loud about ideas/inspirations we got from your pic.

Keep up the good work and let us know how the garden progresses. :)

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What's rebar?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Rebar = steel reinforcing rods used in concrete. It normally comes in 20 foot lengths. The rods have little bumps on them so they won't slide in the concrete. Gardeners can use it for a number of applications. You can get it in different diameters. It is fairly inexpensive. Lumber yards , or hardware stores that sell lumber usually stock it.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Thanks. I wonder why it's called REbar?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It's short for Reinforcing bar

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My local big box store stocks rebar in a variety of lengths, down to 3 feet.

It is what I used to hold my raised beds together. Just got a huge drill bit and drilled a hole straight down through the stack of fence posts and then pounded the rebar in with a sledge hammer. (Not so bad for a 5'3" grandmother!)

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

Thanks for posting the pictures, JLock. I now know what we can do with some of those cedar fence posts hanging around in our yard! My husband picked them up about 15 of them for free from a local fence company and used them as rollers when he moved our shed last fall. He's been trying to figure out what to do with them... 8)

soil
Greener Thumb

I took down a tree last season to get more sun for my raised beds too. Not as tall or nice a tree (mine was tree of heaven, an alien invasive, so a good thing to get rid of anyway). But I may this season take down a few more, since my property has lots of trees and not lots of space to grow veggies.
we have the tree of heaven's too, they are a horrible tree for the local ecosystems here. they are allelopathic and have negative effects on pretty much everything but grass. which is probably because they are a nitrogen fixer if memory serves me right. make sure you let them dry before giving them soil contact, they will root from my experiences. we cut them down on our property and they grow right back like nothing. also help others get rid of them. I do know a guy who coppice's them on purpose for growing oyster mushroom logs.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”