sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

raised beds... can I use logs?

or rocks? or is it important to use wood?

alaskagold

I will be making a few raised flower beds for my husband with river rock and cement this summer. I have also used willow logs for raised beds because they were readily available. I currently have 10, 2 foot tall, 4 foot wide stainless steel culvert pipes for my raised beds at our cabin.

I say use what you want. If you do logs just remember they will eventually turn to mulch and you will have to rebuild.

Use what if right for you with the mind frame of how much will it cost me, will I need to constantly keep rebuilding it, what are my other options.

I am sure many here have different ideas for raised beds. I like my culvert idea as I will probably never have to rebuild them and they never rust. But it cost my husband and I over 600 dollars for it.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

so as long as it isn't plastic then you don't have to worry about it overheating or using special types of soil mixes? is it only plastic that one has to worry about?

how deep do I want? 1'?

starwood

I think anything over six inches would give you benefits.

applestar
Mod

You sure can! Logs could be with bark, without bark, laid on their sides or stood up on ends (sunk in the ground). Logs DO take up more space than lumber, though.

That said, remember that logs will attract ... well, bugs and other denizens that like logs on the ground. Depending on where you live, this could be good or bad. Also, if you're bug-phobic, you might not enjoy leaning over them or sitting on them depending on the size of your logs.

My logs (callery pear) -- used around a raised bed -- sprouted mushrooms. Most likely Wild Turkey mushrooms but they could be the mimic species. Too wary to try to harvest them.

Your choice of wood will matter. I don't think I would use Black Walnut for example. Some soft woods just fall apart way too fast. But as they do fall apart, they will feed the soil. Buried wood will decay faster.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I want to do a 4x4 bed for my 6y old :) it should be big enough for all the things he wants to grow :lol: at least I hope anyways LOL!!!! he gave me his list. ha! I want to do strawberry beds as well, but I think I may just use lumber for those.

applestar
Mod

Well, if it's for your little boy, you might also consider stumps (cut up tree trunks) that are big and stable enough for him to stand and walk on. We made a big sandpit for our kids from those -- I had DH collect them in his pick-up truck as he spotted them (be careful of ones that had been cut down due to termites and borers).

They run on them (tell him not to do that when they're wet from rain, etc. SLIPPERY!) Play a game from my childhood -- start on each end, rock-paper-scissors when they meet, loser jumps off and run as fast as s/he can back to the starting point, get back on the stumps and and r/p/s when meet, etc.

The sandpit is big enough that we also put a 4x6 across one side of it for a balance beam.

They also set up their toys on the top of the stumps -- table, chair, picnic, etc.
Last edited by applestar on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What's callery pear?

applestar
Mod

Ornamental pear like Bradford pear.

Chopped mine down in full health after learning they are prone to splitting and branch shearing after approx 25 yrs. Also mine was a fertile prolific bearer of fruits, which I found out contribute to invasive spreading (via birds and animals) of this non-native species (Asian in origin. Can pollinate Asian pear fruit trees).

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Oh. Thanks for explaining.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The problem with wood is that it rots, and attracts termites and ants. It will last a while in contact with the ground, but be aware of these shortcomings. Treated lumber holds up better, but you have to ask if you want those chemicals in your garden? Rock, concrete blocks or concrete will last indefinitely. These materials are not without problems either if you have cold winters, the frost can heave them and move them outward with the expansion of freezing soil.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Pros and Cons to anything. Personally, I think that the logs are a great idea. They will have to be replaced periodically, but that is because they are rotting and adding organic compounds to your soil. Also, I believe you will get a lot of beneficial fungal growth in your soil using logs. Yes, that's a good thing :lol:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”